𝐢𝐢𝐢. ABRUPT DEPARTURES

︵‿︵‿︵‿︵

︵‿︵‿︵‿︵

  BAILEY HAD AN IDEA OF what might happen next. Something had without a doubt changed, the dynamic between herself, Bella and each of the Cullens. Yesterday had shown them a horror they had tried to ignore, the dangers of being associated with apex predators who inherently had a lack of self-control. Bailey spent her morning at home, alone. It was the first time in a while that Jasper hadn't bothered her for some sort of social interaction. To the point that Bailey had her phone laid out in front of her, looking at it every so often awaiting some sort of sign—a text message or phone call. 

The Volturi was a subject that had caught Bailey's attention and so she was scouring the internet trying to find anything about them. A rumour or folktale, anything. There wasn't much or any information. Normally, Bailey would have gone straight to the source. She would have directly asked Jasper (her go-to on everything vampiric) about the history and relevant information regarding the Volturi. But today that was impossible. 

Bailey surmised that Jasper was likely long gone and Alice was certainly with him. After all, the same thing had almost happened with Edward and Bella. Bella was Edward's blood singer and on the first day of Biology class Edward had almost ripped her to shreds in front of everyone; luckily he managed to restrain himself. Still, Edward had vanished after that, running away to Alaska and planning to start anew because of his fears of reverting to an unstoppable killing machine. But, after some deliberation, space, and an excessive intake of animal blood he had returned. 

Perhaps Jasper's situation was different? Unlike Edward, Jasper hadn't restrained himself. Frankly, if Emmett hadn't been there to stop him Bella would be dead—drained of every last drop of her blood. Bailey shuttered at the thought, her mind remembering the expression on Jasper's face. He always had this way about him, something comforting and calming. Maybe it had to do with his gift? Either way, if Bailey hadn't witnessed yesterday's events firsthand... she wouldn't be able to picture Jasper in that light—uncontrollable and terrifying as he was. 

Friends cheer each other up during times of distress, don't they? Bailey asked herself. She stared at her phone again. 

⍣ ೋ

Not a single Cullen had shown up to school that day. Or at least for the hour and a half that she had been at school. It was strange that Edward wasn't around, very strange. Edward and Bella were always together, even more so since the events of last spring. Bailey found it very nauseating and informative—teenage relationships were still such a fascinating thing. 

Bailey opted out of going directly home for lunch. Instead, she bussed to the public library where she would keep her mind off of anything irrelevant for the sake of research. Hopefully, there were some older books about European tales, tales on vampires, tales on the Volturi. She stayed there for the next few hours until she heard her phone buzzing. Bailey looked at the caller ID—she got up from her seat and walked toward the bathroom.