𝐱𝐢𝐢. FORBIDDEN FRATERNIZING

︵‿︵‿︵‿︵

︵‿︵‿︵‿︵

  BAILEY WASN'T PAYING MUCH ATTENTION to the conversation on the ride over, primarily because Jacob was catching Bella up on stuff Bailey had known for a while now. He clarified that Sam was the alpha of their pack and that he'd ordered Jacob to be quiet about what they were, forbidding any interaction with Bella. To him, it was simply a "wolf thing."  But then Jacob revealed that none of the wolves knew that he was coming to their meeting with some company; he'd opted to keep things short and sweet as a precaution when he called the meeting. 

"Will they be mad that we're with you?" Bella wondered, worryingly. 

Jacob raised his finger and pointed it at Bella. "You, yes," he said. His finger then moved so that he was pointing directly between Bailey's eyes. "You, not so much." 

This drew Bailey to the conversation. "And why's that?" she inquired. 

"Uh," His words had gotten stuck in his throat. "It's kinda not my job to tell you that." 

Bailey stared at him blankly. That's all he was going to say? What did he mean it wasn't his "job" to tell her? Here he was finally revealing all that they needed to know, bringing them to meet the pack in person and he was still keeping secrets? 

She clicked her tongue and looked away from him. Why couldn't things ever be quick and easy? Didn't people know by now that even if they didn't tell her anything she would figure it out on her own eventually? 

"Well, maybe I shouldn't go—" Bella started. 

"No, it's okay," Jacob assured her. "You know a ton of things that can help us. It's not like you're just some ignorant human. You're like a... a spy or something. You've been behind enemy lines." 

"Can I be the guy in the chair?" Bailey asked, taking the metaphor a bit too literally. 

"What?" Jacob looked at her. 

"A spy is nothing without the guy in the chair. The brains behind the operation. That's me. I'm the brains." 

"Sure, Bails, you can be the guy in the chair." 

"Good." Bailey nodded, satisfied. 

Bella pulled over and cut the engine. 

"The guy in the chair comes up with the gadgets and stuff, the background information and the strategy. I'll need full cooperation from you guys if I'm to operate at full capacity. I have some ideas but they haven't been tested yet or built. And there's still so much that I haven't uncovered about you wolves yet. There is much research to be done and planning." Bailey was getting giddy with the thoughts of all the different experiments she could do. 

Jacob sucked in a sharp breath. "They're here. Let's go." 

"Are you sure?" Bella asked while he popped his door open. "Maybe I shouldn't be here?"