Chapter 8

They drove in silence for an hour before Ava had to break it, feeling like she was about to explode from all of the questions bubbling in her head. "You have to tell me what's going on. I can't just sit here and let you take me away from my life because some creep is taking pictures of us. Call the police or something," Ava suggested, her clarity starting to return to her mind. Possible solutions were finally starting to make their way into her head, and they were calming her just slightly.

Gavin laughed a little at her and shook his head, his motions seeming cold. "Cops are the last people we need to call. And it's more than just some creep taking pictures. We're talking multiple bad guys."

"Who's to say you're not the bad guy?" Ava muttered aloud, voicing the constant comment in her head. Maybe she should just call the police and let them deal with everything. Maybe the bad guy of the situation was sitting beside her the whole time, and she had been letting him deceive her and manipulate her.

"If I was a bad guy, I would have left you in town for them to take. There's no telling what they would do to you," Gavin breathed out, shaking his head a little as he sped down the highway, his car lights illuminating the road in front of him and hardly anything else.

"Why are they after you?" Ava tried another question, hoping to clear up some of the confusion. She at least needed to know the basics of the situation. Then, she could figure out her next move.

"Let's say that I left their club and they didn't like that very much," Gavin merely said, tapping his fingertips on the steering wheel in an anxious manner. "No more questions. I don't need you having more information to spill if they do find you."

"I thought you were going to keep me safe!" Ava gasped, staring at him with wide eyes. She couldn't believe that he was just seeing her as this little pawn in whatever game he was playing. She was done with that. If she was going to be dragged into the game against her will, she was going to learn how to play and how to win.

"I am! I'm just saying just in case. The less you know the safer you'll be. Let me keep you safe and shut your mouth," Gavin sighed out, giving her a quick pleading look.

Ava crossed her arms over her chest, ruffling the material of her grey tank top. She stared at the road, clenching her jaw in slight irritation. She was glad that he was looking out for her, but the uncertainty of everything was steadily driving her crazy. She didn't even know where he was taking her. Were they going to some sort of secret house or to a hotel? Would they have to use fake names and wear disguises?

Gavin yawned into his arm, his eyes blinking rapidly to keep himself awake. "We'll stop at a motel for the night soon. Then, I'll figure out where to take us," he told her, feeding her a little bit of information to sate her for now.

"Sure," Ava murmured, deciding against pressuring him for more information. She would try again another time or just try to catch hints when he did decide to talk to her. She couldn't even begin to understand how she came to be in her professor's car booking it out of town to get away from supposedly dangerous people at one in the morning. Things had happened so fast, and she had acted rash, but she had done it for a good reason. If people were trailing Gavin, then they were getting farther away from her friends. She just hoped her and Gavin were moving fast enough for the people not to catch up with them.

"I am sorry about all of this. I didn't mean to drag you into this," Gavin voiced, a frown crossing his face as he kept his eyes on the road. His expression nearly looked pained.

He sounded genuine to her. They both hadn't been aware of people trailing their every move together. She hadn't noticed anything out of the ordinary when they hung out besides that one day that he took off and ran. She guessed that he saw something or someone related to the situation, but that was a question for another time. She would get nowhere with questions right now. Her adrenaline was starting to run out, being replaced with exhaustion from the sudden interruption from sleep she had experienced earlier. She just wanted to go to sleep and wake up in a different situation. "Why would they think I'm important to you?"