Chapter 11

The only skill that Ava's father had taught her was how to speak loudly and clearly, which was something she hadn't even fully hung onto as she grew older. He hadn't taught her how to ride a bike or pick a lock, but at least Gavin was teaching her one of those things.

"You got it! Pretty easy once you get the hang of it right?" Gavin exclaimed, beaming at her proudly as they gazed at each other through the opening to the bathroom. After spending some time at the diner talking, they managed to get a few hours of sleep before waking up and deciding to rest in the motel for that day so that they could figure out their next move. Gavin had decided to use the time wisely and teach Ava a few things, like how to pick a lock and how to tie bedsheets together in firm knots if she had to ever use them to escape from a multi-story building.

Even if the tips he was teaching her were only really for survival or emergency situations, Ava still found herself having fun learning new things, especially with him teaching. She hoped that she wouldn't have to really use anything that he had taught her, but at least she knew what to do. She wouldn't be completely helpless if things took a turn for the worst. "I can't believe I got it," Ava laughed softly as she glanced at the bathroom lock that she had just picked open. She stepped out of the bathroom to stand at his side, her head tilting up to look at him. "What else you got?"

Gavin rubbed his chin thoughtfully, his fingertips grating over his dark stubble. He motioned for her to follow him back onto the carpeted floor near the bed and the television, stopping between them. "Let me show you a defense move or two. Just in case they get near you, you can protect yourself," Gavin suggested, standing across from her.

"Are you sure? I don't want to hurt you or anything," Ava asked him as she cautiously stepped in front of him. She didn't know the first thing about self-defense. One summer during high school, she wanted to sign up for a two-week self-defense class, but her parents didn't want her to get into any sort of fighting activity. The thought of that situation still made her want to roll her eyes.

Gavin chuckled softly as he waved his hand dismissively. "Trust me, you won't," he teased her, a cocky smile crossing his lips.

Ava raised her eyebrows at him, surprised at his boldness, but it only fired her up to try. "What's the first move?" She asked, ready to get started. She was always looking to try something new.

"So, instead of your fists, I want you to try striking with the heel of your hand. Push up with it," Gavin replied, tapping his chest for her to aim at.

Ava tried out the move slowly, gradually extending her arm out and thrusting her heel forward to meet his chest. She tried it at full speed, knocking him back a step and making a grunt sound from him. "How about that?" Ava asked, a bold expression gracing her face as she hopped a little on her feet. The usual anxiety she had since they ran off had subsided a little, giving away to how much excitement was coursing through her. She hadn't felt so alive in awhile.

"Really good. I'd give that an A," Gavin replied cheekily, his bright smile proving to be infectious.

"Can I get a plus added to that?" Ava asked, tilting her head at him in a flirty motion, one that she didn't realize she was doing until it was too late. Her body nearly had a mind of its own, acting on its own accord to tease and play with him. He was easy to mess around with, making her feel comfortable enough to poke fun at him. She hardly just saw him as her professor anymore. He had become something of an unexpected friend, but she was too embarrassed to voice that aloud to him. He could feel totally different about her.

"Let's see how you do on this next move," Gavin chuckled, motioning for her to turn around. He came up close behind her, his chest nearly brushing her back with each breath.