Chapter 10

With a small sigh, Ava flopped down onto another queen motel bed, her eyes staring at the plain white ceiling. "We must have bad luck," she muttered, watching Gavin grab a pillow out of the corner of her eye and place it on the floor. They were stuck in another single bed motel room, prompting Gavin to volunteer to take the floor again. Ava had tried to take a turn on the floor, but he had refused, wanting her to feel comfortable around him.

"Maybe I deserve it. I'm not exactly a saint," Gavin sighed as he grabbed a sheet from the bed and sat on the floor.

"No one is a saint. I mean, you didn't seem all that nice when you were beating up that guy in the alley," Ava pointed out as she sat up to look down at him. She still wondered about that night, her perspective starting to shift a little. She wondered if he had been fighting out of self-defense instead of being the bad guy. She hoped that was the case.

"Good first impression, huh?" Gavin smirked a little before shaking his head and continuing. "He was one of the people who is following us. He approached me and I attacked him so that I could escape without getting caught."

"So, they want to kill us?" Ava asked, her chest nearly growing tight at the question.

"I don't know how far they would go. It's down to the main man what he wants to do. Whatever they do, it won't be pretty," Gavin explained as he laid back down, resting the back of his head on the pillow as he brought the sheets up to his hoodie-covered chest. His hands rubbed together slowly, almost in an anxious fashion.

Ava drew in a shaky breath, choosing to lay down as well. It was still a lot to take in. "How long will we run for?"

"Until I find us a safe place and the storm blows over," Gavin told her, his own eyes staring intently at the ceiling.

Ava knew that could take weeks or months. The life that she previously led could very well be over. Besides college and her friends, it wasn't much of a life that she would be leaving behind. She wouldn't miss it. She would miss a better place to sleep and not having to stress about being found, though. "I'm going to try to sleep," she murmured, feeling tired, but she also had a head full of thoughts.

"Me too," Gavin replied quietly before silence fell upon the old motel room.

Ava was tired enough to fight off the concerns occupying her head. She felt completely restless, constantly tossing and turning. It got to the point where it frustrated her. She just wanted to go to sleep, which was the only thing that she could do to escape from her reality. She just needed to clear her head for at least a little bit, and now she couldn't. She was trapped inside of her own head, and it had been a few hours since she had first started to try to go to bed.

"Can't sleep?" Gavin's voice sounded through the darkness.

"No," Ava sighed out, her fingertips playing with the end of one of her braids. She figured that he was experiencing the same problem as she was, making them trapped together. Deep down, it made her feel better to not be alone.

"I saw a 24-hour diner on the way here. Want to go check it out?" Gavin asked her.

Ava couldn't help but feel a tiny hint of a smile pull at her lips at his suggestion. It sounded way more fun than laying there in the dark with a mind that wouldn't shut down for the night. "Sounds great," she replied before hopping out of bed and joining him at the door. They decided to walk down the street to the diner, already able to make out the red and yellow glowing sign from their motel room door. "I don't mind this stuff," she commented.

"Late night diner runs? They're my favorite," Gavin chuckled, his bare arm brushing against hers briefly, his hoodie now gone and leaving behind a plain black T-shirt that accented the lean muscle of his arms.