t h r e e

I stood there, frozen in place. I couldn't move. Anger overwhelmed me. Sadness, too, but I refused to shed tears. I refused to cry over some silly boy, but it really did hurt. A hurt that felt like it was eating me from inside out, leaving the lingering mist of despair.

Summer looked over to me, and stopped kissing Cedric for a moment. "So, Cedric has decided that you're nothing to him. You're a worthless, ugly, stupid little girl. You should've known that Cedric wouldn't love you. He hasn't, he doesn't, and he never will," her words didn't wound me; it was only the fact that after telling that he had fallen for me, minutes later, he proved that, obviously, it was a lie. Of course, I knew it was too good to be true that the boy I was pining after had declared his love for me.

While I could see what was happening right in front of my eyes, I didn't think Cedric would do such a thing. I knew him since we were young, and the Cedric I knew would most definitely never, ever do something like this. It seemed surreal. Impossible, almost.

Summer smirked, before pulling Cedric closer and kissing him again. For a second, I thought I saw a flicker of resistance in his eyes, but I shook it off; if he didn't want to kiss her, he wouldn't be kissing her right now.

I shot one last look of disgust at them, and then left, walking back to Hogwarts in the snowy weather, snowflakes adorning my hair, and my breath could be seen in the air. When I was young I had always loved pretending that I was a dragon, and that frost breath could come out of my mouth. With Cedric. He would always join in my games no matter how strange or confusing they were.

Sometimes, I used to wonder if he was real. No one could be that kind, caring, patient and trustworthy, yet he was all of them, and more. Clearly, he wasn't the person I thought he was.

Absentmindedly, I reached up and touched the Hufflepuff scarf that he had wrapped around my neck. I couldn't understand what was going on. Every inch of my body was hoping it was all a dream, and that when I woke up, everything would be normal and back to being wonderful.

I quickened my pace as the snow began to fall in larger quantities, and the wind was blowing even fiercer than before. What a great day, I thought bitterly.

I eventually reached the castle, hair and jacket covered in snow. The only thing I wanted to do now was to curl up near the fire and read a book.

I went to my dormitory to change into dry clothes, and then sat down on a plump armchair with a muggle book. Cedric had given me this book. Almost everything seemed to remind me of Cedric.

I opened the book and started to read, but Cedric kept occupying my mind. After realising I had been reading the same sentence over and over again, I shut the book with a loud snap. Reading didn't help at all.

If I was ever sad, it was Cedric that had always cheered me up. He would have done anything to make me smile, even if it was absolutely silly. A question that had hung with me all this time, since I saw them kissing was, why did he do it?

I just really couldn't believe that Cedric had kissed her. Every part of me was telling me that something was amiss, yet how could it be? I had seen him right there with my own eyes, and your eyes don't lie.

My thoughts were so repetitive, and I was getting sick of them, but I couldn't stop them. I didn't think one boy could influence my thoughts so much. I prepared to leave the common room, planning on heading to the kitchens to get a little something to eat. I had missed lunch because of that disaster date.

"y/n!" Peter exclaimed from the top of the stairs leading to the boy's dormitories. I turn to look at him, silently prompting him to say whatever it was that he wanted to say. I didn't even realise I had been crying until I saw Peter's curious expression and felt a dampness on my cheeks. I must look awful.