Chapter 7: The Truth

You and Jack fly out of Pitch's shadow, ready to strike. Suddenly, Jack realized you two forgotten something.
"Baby Tooth!" He yells and both of you turn to re-enter the hole in the wall only to find yourselves face to face with one of Bunny's stone emblems. "Happy Easter, Jack and (y/n)." Pitch said as both of you turn around.

Suddenly, your eyes fill with dread as you realize where you guys are. Thousands of broken egg shells lay strewn about, forming a path toward the light at the end of the tunnel. "No." You whispered just as Jack looks down and sees the sight before him.

Bunny peaks through the bushes to take in the scene, an Easter Egg hunt.

"There are no eggs."

"There's none anywhere."

"I give up."

"Come on, let's go."

"I don't understand."

Bunny checks the eggs in his basket, then looks back toward the kids.
"Maybe he just hid them really well this year." One girl said to her friends. Bunny, egg basket in hand, approaches a group of kids who seem to be wandering around searching halfheartedly, disappointed and listless. "Kids! Oi!" He calls out.
"I checked everywhere! There's nothing!" A young boy exclaimed.

"Yes there is! There is! I mean these aren't my best lookin' googies, but they'll do in a pinch!" Bunny said, desperately, as he holds out a broken Easter egg. The kids just stare. "I can't believe it." The girl said. "I know!" Bunny said. "There's no such thing as the Easter Bunny." The girl said, sadly, as she starts to walk away.

"What?" Bunny said in disbelief.
"Easter's over. Forget this." Another kid said. It's only then that Bunny realized he's too late. The spark of childhood has already been extinguished in all of them. "No! Wrong! Not...not true! I'm right in front of ya, mate!" He says, desperately.

"There's no such thing."

"I know."

The kids walk through Bunny as if he were a ghost. Bunny is stunned by this, and finally realizes...

"Now come on."

"I don't understand. Why wouldn't he come?"

"Let's get out of here."

"Easter Bunny, where are you?"

"This is the worst Easter ever."

"They don't see me. They don't see me." Bunny whispers in despair. You and Jack watch this all unfold and it's heartbreaking, you place your hands over your mouth. "This is our fault." You whispered as Tooth flies to Bunny's side. Jack hears a rustle in the bushes behind both you.

"Jack...(y/n), where were you?" North's voice asked as you and Jack see North, with his scimitars drawn and having just come from battle. He's exhausted, wild-eyed, and distraught. "The Nightmares attacked the tunnels. They smashed every egg, crushed every basket. Nothing made it to the surface." He said and your eyes widen.

"Jack! (Y/N)!" Tooth said as she joins you then stops. "Where did you get those?" She asked in shock. You and Jack look down at the tooth boxes in your hands, then back to Tooth.

"I was...it's..." Jack stammered.

"You see...uh..." you started to explain.

"Where's Baby Tooth?" Tooth asked. But you two don't answer her. "Oh guys, what have you done?" She asked, feeling very betrayed. "That is why you two weren't here? Both of you were with Pitch?" North asked.
"No, listen...listen...I'm sorry. We didn't mean for this to happen." Jack started to explain until Bunny comes up to you two.