Part 4

The princess decided that she should probably be more concerned than she was.

She knew that bringing Tom all the way to Ornate was probably a bad move. But, in an odd, sort of strange way, she trusted him. And besides, he hadn't said that he didn't like the princess or the Queen... just her father.

She knew it would probably be a problem once they got to Ornate. People would begin to recognize her as the princess and eventually she'd have to get back to the castle, which would be difficult to explain to Tom.

But, as she didn't trust anyone else to get her there, she decided to just keep moving forward with him.

Conversing with him was beginning to become easier. The two began making small talk along the way, talking about the different things they saw or heard, but each avoiding the topic of one another's past.

"So, tell me. Was that really your first time seeing the ocean back in Civitasmare?" Tom asked the princess as they trudged up and over a grassy hill.

"Yes of course! It's always been a dream of mine to see the ocean!" The princess responded brightly.

"But, you live in Ornate! That's not too far from the ocean- maybe a half a day's journey." He responded smiling at the girl's dreaminess in her eyes.

The girl smiled, a little disappointed, down towards her feet. "I've... I've never actually left the city walls of Ornate," She responded, "Well, until now. But, I've read many books and I dream about traveling the world."

Tom couldn't help but adore the look on her face as she talked about her dreams. He wondered what it must be like to be seeing the rest of the kingdom for the first time.

"Oh, wow! Look at that beautiful flower!" The princess marveled as they came across a cluster of wildflowers like none she had ever seen before.

Tom smiled and bent over to pick the most beautiful one of them all. He ever so gently, knowing that the princess would freak out if he touched her without warning, motioned her over to him. She took a tentative step toward him, not knowing what he was doing, but he tucked a strand of her hair back and stuck the flower behind her ear.

The princess nearly started crying at how gentle his touch was. She had forgotten what it was like in her three months of torture, and it was so nice to feel safe again.

For a few moments, the princess and Tom locked eyes with each other, each with a small smile upon their face. A few seconds later, Tom wiggled his head towards the direction they were meant to be traveling.

"I guess we should keep moving," He commented.

The princess nodded and they continued onwards side by side.

As the sun began to lower upon the two travelers, the princess began to see the traces of a city on the horizon.

"Hey, so, I know the owner of the inn, he's a good friend of mine. I'll be able to get either one room with two beds, or I can get two rooms with one bed. I just wanted to ask you what you'd be most comfortable with. Either is fine," Tom explained to the princess carefully.

Her heart warmed because she could tell that he was genuine in wanting her to feel comfortable. Her first reaction was "get me away from any human being and give me my own room" but when that reaction hit her, it made her feel like crumbling in a corner.

In no way did she want to be alone.

"Can we share a room?" She asked quietly.

Tom smiled gently at the girl, "Of course!"