Chapter 3:

“Rae?” I heard my door swing open. “RAE!” I glanced at my clock. Right on time. She does this every morning.

“What, Mom?” I said with a tired, annoyed voice.

“Get up already! You’re going to be late for school.”

“Okay, okay,” I replied into the marshmallow people would call a pillow. I added a groan, which led her to leave. I didn’t feel like yelling back, I mean it was only 6:30 in the morning.

School starts at 7:30. It takes like 20 minutes to get there but luckily, I don’t need very much time to get ready.

I got ready for school then looked at the clock. 7:00. Perfect. I was so glad it was the last day of school. Graduation is tomorrow for the seniors like me who don’t have to take exams. That means I get an extra week to my summer. I grabbed my keys, got in my car, drove to school, and met Dani. She lives like right next to the school so she can just walk. She normally brings a chair and Starbucks and sits in my parking spot until I get there. As soon as I get there, she puts the chair in my trunk and we sit on top of my car watching everybody mingle. We like people watching. 10 minutes passed as we sat there and drank our Starbucks together waiting for the bell to ring.

Yes, 7:30! “Finally the bell rings! I can’t stand waiting any longer!” Dani said. I agree. The last day is always the most agonizing. “Okay come on. Can’t be late for the last day!” We both laughed and ran inside with everyone else. First and second block passed by quickly and next thing I knew, it was lunch.

I walked in and got my food. “HEY!” someone screamed into my ear; of course, it was Dani. “Jesus Christ Dani, you scared the shit out of me!” I slapped her arm with my free hand as we laughed then walked to a table.

“So are you ready for the best summer of your LIFE?” She screeched the word ‘life’ so everyone looked at us. I smiled sheepishly.

“OF COURSE!” I yelled back at her and everyone looked at us again, this time giving us dirty looks. I don’t quite know why we were yelling but who gives a crap; Apart from everyone else in the lunchroom. Anyways, we continued our conversation, but in a quieter tone this time.

“So how big is your dad’s house?” Dani asked.

“Well we will be able to have our own wings of the house. I’ll probably stay in the west wing and you can have the east wing,” I started to say. “My dad will stay in the basement which is like the size of two apartments put together so I think he’ll be fine. We both have decks starting from the sides of the house and meeting up in the back. There are stairs off the back of the deck that lead to the sand. And there’s the beach,” I smiled to myself. As I was talking, I was drawing the house with my fingers on the lunch table. When I looked up Dani was staring at me, speechless. “Close your mouth, you’re gonna drool everywhere,” I joked.

“Wow,” was all she said. I just snickered at her reaction. “Are you like secretly rich?” she asked me in a whisper tone. I don’t know why.

“No,” I mimicked her, “Well my dad kinda is but not my mom and me.”

“Well why not?” she said.

“Well he owns a cab company down there-” was all I could say before I got cut off.

“OWNS?” Dani said in shock.

“Yes… owns… O.W.-”

She shook her hand in my face signaling me to stop talking. “I know what you said but that’s just so awesome!” she squealed. The bell rang. “Want to just cut the rest of the day? I mean we still have to pack and everything too…”

“Say no more. Let’s go.” How could I not agree? I mean it’s not like we’ll learn anything in the last two blocks anyways, right?

**

Hey guys. These first few chapters are kinda just fillers and getting you to know the characters. Sorry again for the length!