𝐟𝐨𝐮𝐫༄

Runa hadn't seen Hvitserk the following day

Runa hadn't seen Hvitserk the following day. It didn't worry her, the thought of never seeing him again didn't even make her sad. She knew that he was a busy person. Plus it would be overdramatic of her to think that he would never return after one day without him.
She was currently in the middle of the Kattegat market putting the leftover of her products back in the bags she carried them in.
Her mother was with her new lover and was bringing him back home for a family dinner. Even though Runa only found out about her mother and the man, who was a fisher, recently she was happy for the two of them. His wife actually passed away of the same illness her father had. Or something similar.  But that stuff didn't matter as she knew her mother deserved to be happy and loved— if Knute can promise that then Runa would have no problem.
She put the straps of the bags upon her shoulders and started to make her way through the very crowded paths of the village. Ruthless citizens barely allowing her room to move about started to get on her nerves. An irritated and exhausted expression splashed onto her face as the bags began to feel more and heavier by the minute.
"Watch where you're going, girl." A man spat her when she bumped into him. She uttered a quick apology and continued through the masses.
She usually had her mother who her with the leftover but today Runa decided upon letting her mother have a day off. A day off for her to get ready for tonight however she may wish to. But right at this moment she really needed a hand with the sacks.
"Miss," a man tapped her shoulder, "do you need help?"
Runa turned swiftly towards the voice that belonged to a dark long haired male. He was just a bit taller than her. She hadn't seen this man before.
"I can manage," she shrugged which resulted in one of the straps snapping off from her shoulder dropping everything to the ground. She cringed at the sight and pressed a hand to her face in embarrassment, "apparently Not I guess."
She chuckled slightly looking away from the man.
"Don't worry I got you," the man bent down to pick up the produce and started to carry it by hand, "I'm actually heading towards the farmland."
Runa went to help the generous man but was refused her help as he told her that he can do it.
"Thank you...?"
"Arvid." He filled in for her.
"Runa."

The two stumbled out of the village and were now closer towards the farmlands. They engaged in small talk most of the way to break the icy awkward silence. Arvid explained he was a blacksmith and his father was a farmer who actually didn't live too far away from her. Arvid also told Runa of his daughter, Halina, who was only a few months old. His wife didn't make it through the childbirth but he had met a new lover, who he wouldn't say. The story was dark but in Arvid's defence, he felt that he should tell the young girl his truth in order for her to trust him.
"I'm very sorry to hear that Arvid, but I'm sure she's looking after your daughter and cherishing her as if she was still here," Runa spoke up.
"Me too," he sighed, "Anyways, we're almost at your farm?"
Runa nodded in response to the man's question. Fighting her grip on the netted sack she hoisted the bag on her shoulder for the umpteenth time on the hike.
"Just around the corner."

The pairing finally made it to the small and proud homestead moments after turning left. Sweat covered both of their faces like a thin sheet of cloth. After telling Arvid her thanks once again they put the sacks against the house and said their goodbyes. With that Arvid was gone.

Runa took ahold of the doorknob and let herself inside, the smell of stew greeting her. She forgot how starved she really was up until now and felt her stomach growl.
"Food smells great, mother." Runa pointed as she took off her dirtied cloak.
"Thanks, dear," her mother replied, "we're in here."
The sound of her voice directed Runa around one of the dividers towards the central fireplace. Knute was sitting while her mother's head rested on his shoulder. Runa knew that they were so great in love. Not because of their position or status but because their eyes looked as if they were filled with pure joy. Runa noticed this mostly in her mother as they seemed more open and gleeful than when she was without him.
Runa smiled at the two and took a seat across from them.
"How was the selling?" Knute asked her.
Runa let out an exasperated sigh jokingly and replied," tiring so many people wanted to purchase our crops."
As that part was true, so many were left unsold which was why she was really tired.
"Ah, so barely anything came back?" Her Ingrid asked.
"Oh well, two sacks were left although I had help carrying them here," Runa explained back to her mother.
"Was it that Hit Zach, guy?"
Runa laughed, "it's Hvitserk," she pulled some of her hair to her shoulder, "and no, someone else gave me a helping hand."
"Who might that be?"
"He told me his name was Arvid, his father owns a farm close to ours."
Her mother nodded and looked at Knute with almost excitement in her eyes.
"Well, I guess we should eat..." Ingrid said without looking away.
Runa smiled and got up from her seat.

The dinner was lovely, Runa and Knute talked about the farm and Kattegat and numerous other things. Ingrid felt happy that her daughter and her possible new husband were getting along. She was afraid Runa would do something rash or perhaps say something regretful. But Runa was absolutely thrilled to have him around. It almost felt like the hole in the family was finally filled.

The laughter of the group echoed around the walls of the home as the skies darkened. The light from inside the house cascaded into the dark air. It truly was a happy home.