𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐥𝐯𝐞༄

The burning sun beat down on the men below it

The burning sun beat down on the men below it. It was as if the sun was giving these men the death glare, unmoving. Not a single cloud dotted the air. Sweat drenched Hvitserk long hair as he tried to avert his eyes from the water's reflection. Though he knew it was because of the sun, he didn't want to see himself either. When he saw himself he was only reminded of the woman he left on her homestead.
He didn't want to get too sentimental while on the boat with his brothers and the other courageous men. Though he believed love wasn't a weakness, everyone else disagreed. He couldn't risk it. He couldn't risk his reputation, even if he didn't care for it.
The crew had only been on the waters for three days. Those three days consisted of drunken sing songs, war tales, and lots of overly friendly conversations. Now that their initial excitement had died down, everyone couldn't wait to get off the warped boards of the boat's deck.

Back in Kattegat, Runa was overly exhausted. It wasn't too hot out on her end, it was rather windy and brisk. She didn't have many layers on as she could feel herself sweating through at least one of the layers. She may have looked quite inappropriate for a woman doing her farm work in just a thin dress, but she felt like her body was slowly cascading into molten lava.
She spent her morning alone, her mother was at Knute's again. Her breakfast was a simple bread roll and whatever was left of the fish she had eaten the night prior. She found that she had been eating more than she was used to. The woman just called it a distraction from the lack of her lover. Although it baffled her why she felt as though she could throw up at any moment. That's when she threw down the plow with realization. She began to run for her mother.

The skies on the ocean began to darken. One more day has passed, only three more to go. Hvitserk began to count down then, how many days he felt he had to wait to see his woman. It was this night that he began to get lost in his thoughts. He lied down on the various sacks lied about the boat. With his left arm, he perched his now grimy head upon it and stared at the night sky. When he saw the stars he saw the joyous smile Runa wore. The very twinkle her eyes shone. The beauty that she was.
He felt a smile creep onto his face. His heart fluttered slightly at the thought. The lack of sleep may be inducing him over-emotional state but at that moment he felt truly happy.
He pondered about the possibility of running away with her. Away from his power-hungry mother, away from his worst siblings that only made him feel lesser, away from Kattegat as a whole. He would miss a few people like Ubbe. If he was truly honest he would only miss him out of everyone if he were to carry out his fantasies.
Hvitserk knew that he and Runa wouldn't ever be alone as he had a strong feeling that they would for sure have children. But not yet, he wanted to wait he wanted to just be with her for a while.
Oh how badly he wanted to be with Runa that very second. To hold her in the sheets of the bed he would sneak into. Feel her body breathing slowly as she feels asleep absentmindedly rubbing his hand with hers. To play with her long hair, for her to do the same to him. He missed the little things.
"I'm such a fool." He mumbled. No one was awake to hear him. If anyone knew the situation and knew his thoughts, they would agree. Hvitserk Ragnarsson was a fool who loved deeply, too quickly.

Runa's feet started to ache with every step she pounded in the gravel path. She felt cold sweat dripping down her face as she reached the home of Knute. He lived too far for the current problem at hand. He was right by the shore. Which made sense for the fisherman that he was. No homes nearby. As if anything could be done and gotten away with.
She paused for a minute. She pondered over everything about her current state. Overheating. Queasiness. Overeating.
These signs pointed her to her feet. But she just had to know. She had to consult with her mother in order to be sure.
She began to walk up the nicely kept area toward the poorly hung wooden door. With a deep breath, she knocked. Footsteps echoed on the other side of the plank.
When the door opened, her face paled. Never in her life did she think she would see what she saw now in front of her.

He woke up suddenly to the feeling of ice-cold salty water being poured over him. He sprung up and spat. Laughter radiated all over the boat.
"Very funny." He murmured annoyed.
He looked to the side to see Ivar wearing the mischievous smirk that Hvitserk sworn he inherited from Loki himself.
"Little wet brother?" He laughed.
Hvitserk rolled his eyes and wrung out his hair. He had gotten so far on this journey without having to deal with his crippled brother. He would now have to sit in silent shivers until his clothes were dry. He groaned inwardly as he moved to sit closer in the sun.
"I see land!" A man shouted causing a commotion to arise. Pairs of men when to the sound of his voice and looked over. Hvitserk peered over; it was land.
"LAND!" People shouted. Excitement surely resurfaced once again.
"This just got too real," Hvitserk mumbled once again to himself.
He thought of images of past battles that were surely not going to compare with what he was about to face in the upcoming days.
"Gods, keep me safe." He slowly spoke, "keep her safe too."