Chapter 8

Luck was on Luke's side when his mum didn't catch him sneaking out. He was scared that his mum might notice, but she didn't. Or, she did and never said anything. Considering what's recently been happening, he doubted that, though. She obviously would have punished him for sneaking out.

But, Luke just grinned because she didn't and he got away with it. It was nice to get away with something for once. It's been a while since he has and Ashton was such a giggling mess when they ran off and went back home. Of course, they got home at around five in the morning, so it was exhausting the next day.

Luke got one hour of sleep, however he wasn't complaining. Staying up for five hours while talking to Ashton was one of the best things in the world. They just bonded over music and school and shared some memories from their childhood. Which is rare for Luke to do since his dad's death.

Apparently, Ashton had an amazing childhood. He is an only child and was very spoiled. Not with items, but with love and Luke envied this. Despite loving his dad, sometimes he was away a lot and most of his childhood. He doesn't like talking about it, though, so Ashton respected that and didn't ask much of it.

It's rare people respect privacy like that. Many are nosy and Luke is one of those people. He loves to snoop and ask and prod about things. Like, how Ashton is an only child. Luke questioned it a lot and thankfully, Ashton didn't mind talking about it. It wasn't as happy as he though it would be, so he sort of regretted asking.

From what Ashton said, it wasn't all fun and games being an only child. He always admitted that he did get lonely and even though grandparents spoiled him with money and presents, he would much rather have someone to share the happiness with. Luke loves his older brothers, but he did get annoyed with them, so he wasn't sure Ashton understood what having siblings is like.

Then again, we all want what we don't have.

Only children want to have siblings because they never had any and experienced it. Just like people with siblings want to be an only child. No one is happy with one or the other. And, if they are, they're just lucky. However, Ashton did explain that he was lucky in the fact that he had loving parents and Luke was lucky to have decent brothers, even if he hates them sometimes.

The downside to staying up in the middle of the night with Ashton was that Luke barely stayed awake in school. He was already sore from working out a couple days ago. Typically when you work out the burn goes away from stretching muscles. However, Luke over-worked so it lasted a few days longer.

He was so tired and Michael was giving him weird looks throughout class. Most were concerned, but some showed just plain confusion. Luke kept squirming and trying to wake himself up by drinking lots of water and chewing on fruity gum to get his taste buds going and mouth moving.

It didn't work.

Luke even texted Ashton and the boy said he was also really tired. So, Luke figured at least he wasnt alone here. Sometimes even Calum or Michael stay up super late and they're exhausted the next day. But, sadly that wasn't what was going on here. They didn't seem to understand that Luke literally only had an hour of sleep and during the first hour of sleep, you're not even fully asleep and it doesn't do much.

When class went by, Luke rubbed his eyes sleepily and he was so happy to see it was almost time for lunch. He yawned and they had a few minutes left to work on a worksheet and turn it in. He really didn't care about the worksheet and went to lay his head down, hoping for a quick nap.

However, he nearly groaned when he heard Michael move his seat so they were next to each other. He looked up through his fringe that was flat since he was too lazy to do it. He yawned,"What do you want Mikey? M'tired, please give me a few minutes to sleep and we'll do whatever you want."