ii. Thank Merlin for Maxime!

TWO THANK MERLIN FOR MAXIME!

       THE WEEKEND GOES QUICKER than Briar expects it will; one minute, she's helping her dad make dinner on the first night, having a moment of panic from the heaviness of English food compared to what she's been eating at school, and the next, she's making sure she's got her bags ready to go back to her grandparents' house. She spends the last morning with her dad and godfather sitting in the kitchen, talking to them about what it'll be like when she gets home.

       When it gets to half-eleven, Briar decides she'll get going, knowing her grandparents will be happy with her if she turns up thirty minutes before she was supposed to. She hugs Sirius goodbye and Remus walks her out into the living room, where the Floo Network has been set up.

       "If your grandparents find out, let me know—"

       "They won't," says Briar, almost instantly. She thinks about the entirety of her education. "Like, I'm not being funny but I hid most of the stuff I did with the twins from them, and they still don't know about that... And they don't even know about Beauxbatons, which is far worse... I turned the statues into ABBA!"

       Remus toes the line of concerned and impressed. Well, Briar thinks he does. She thinks, past his concern for her... well, her education, he's a little impressed. Maybe she should mention that the statues were charmed to sing Fernando every time the bell rang. Hmm.

       "I'm still your father, Briar," says Remus. "Please don't misbehave at school?"

       "What if it's misbehaviour directed towards my grandparents because they only sent me to Beauxbatons because they didn't want me to meet you?" says Briar, looking up at her dad, trying to test her luck. He still doesn't look impressed. "And it's all going to be worth it when they get a massive letter from Madame Maxime saying how terrible I've been?"