xiv. Golden Girl (Pt. II)

FOURTEEN GOLDEN GIRL (PT. II)

       HOLLY FINDS HER MOTHER WAITING for her in an empty classroom, one of the Potions ones that are never used. It leads Holly to believe that Snape knows about her mother, and what she's planning, but she isn't going to mention it to him. Firstly, she doesn't like him, and secondly, she's not going to give all of this away, is she? Merlin, could you imagine — the reason her mother's plan, built to be so indestructible it's practically iron-clad, falls apart is because Holly presumes someone knows about it. Holly isn't risking that. She doesn't want to see her mother's reaction, if that's the reason it all failed.

       Margo sits at the desk, the door having been locked behind them. In half an hour there's an assembly, a special one that's being held in the evening, so Holly keeps an eye on the clock in the room. Her mother, though, looks comfortable where she's sitting, the blazer of her dark purple suit a little lopsided from how she's sitting, slouching back.

       "Have you heard about Barty Crouch?" says Holly.

       Margo nods, and it's the sort of acknowledgement that makes Holly think, You had something to do with it.

       "Was he... not nice?" says Holly, quietly.

       "From what I've heard, he was terrible," says Margo. "Your friend Livvy was raised by him, wasn't he?" Holly nods, and Margo sighs. "Bless. From what's been said about Crouch over the years, he was never nice... Too absorbed in his work. Apparently he was distraught when he realised his three children were all dead or worse, that's why he took Livvy and the golden girl."

       Holly frowns. "Golden—?"

       "I knew Laurel Crouch, a little bit," says Margo, quietly but bitterly. Aggressively. "When I last saw her, what, that daughter of hers must've been one, or two, at the most? They always treated her like she was the best thing to walk on the earth..."