Chapter One: Separate Worlds

Rosemary rolls down the driver seat window, the smell of the salty sea pouring in. Breathing heavily she keeps both hands on the steering wheel and eyes on the winding road before her. Her chestnut brown hair blows softly in the breeze.

Tears gentle roll down her cheeks and off her jaw before landing on her dark blue denim jeans. With a small sniffle she tries to push the memories of her parents deaths out of her mind. They had died shortly after her twenty-fourth birthday in late April. It is now a month later.

Rosemary's mother and father both worked in British Navy before relocating to America a few years after she was born. Her parents loved travelling the world and whenever they could, they would take Rosemary with them. There were time when the two of them would be stationed away at the same time which left Rosemary in the care of her grandmother when she was little. Her father had booked a small romantic boat trip for him and her mother to celebrate there soon to be 25th anniversary. They would be gone the weekend. A sudden, unpredicted storm hit the area and with no warning the two could not avert back to land fast enough. They alerted the coast guard of their location in hopes of rescue but it was too late when the helicopter arrived to guild the boat back to shore. The boat was turned over, upside down in the water and there were no signs of any bodies.

Rosemary remembers being woken up that morning by a knock of the door. She thought it was the postman with a parcel but when she opened the door to find the police she was not in shock. Rosemary had just spilt from her boyfriend who happened to be threaten her, her friends and family. In the last few months of their two year long relationship, Daryl had fallen into the wrong crowd after losing his job. She wondered what Daryl had done this time but the police soon requested to talk inside in which they then revealed that her parents were missing and assumed dead. Last night she had got home from the gym just as the storm started.

A week passed and her parents bodies were not located and so she announced the loss of her parents and arranged the funeral service, even though there was nothing to bury. Rosemary picked up her grandmother and drove her to the beach back in her home town where her parents squadron gave their respects with a military send off.

Her grandmother insisted Rosemary come stay with her and at first Rosemary was unsure. Her parents' house was like a prison cell, constantly reminding her of her loss. Rosemary had once had her own flat with her previous boyfriend but after it went downhill, she moved back into her parents' house for her own safety while trying to find somewhere affordable to live. The house now belonged to her but the inheritance would take up to a year to go through. She needed to escape and so she packed up and travelled across the coast, a two hour drive away to stay with her grandmother. She quit her job as a personal trainer wishing there was a similar job in Amnesty Bay but the small, deserted town had no gym.

'Welcome to Amnesty Bay'

The sign read as she entered the quaint shore town over the surrounding fields, forests and cliffs. Soon enough she arrives just outside her grandmothers, pulling into the small drive way which is empty because her grandmother couldn't drive anymore and since her grandfather passed away eight years ago, his truck back range rover had been stored in the garage.

The sun slowly sets as her grandmother, Eliza, opens the fronts door upon hearing the car pull in. She rushes over, welcoming her granddaughter with open arms and taking one of the smaller suitcases.

"You old room is all set up" Eliza smiles brightly pointing upstairs as she makes her way into the open living room.

Rosemary chuckles at the old fashioned furniture as it feels cosy and warm compared to the large, modern home that her parents raised her in.