Chapter Eight: Connection

"Did he always treat you like that?" Arthur asks, breaking the silence as they head back to Rose's house after dropping Tom at the lighthouse.

"No, not always... only in the last month or so of our relationship" Rose sighs, twisting her hands on the stirring wheel.

"He used to be a marine. We met in college on a sports course. We had a place together and lived happily for about two years, that was until he was dishonourably discharged for failing a medical drugs test. He couldn't get work and soon fell into to a pit of despair. Drugs. Gambling. Drinking. He got into the wrong crowd and I couldn't take it..." Rose tells him in a quiet voice as she begins to stutter on her words.

"You don't have to talk about it if you don't want to" Arthur exclaims, catching a quick glimpse at her.

"No, I want to. It's just hard sometimes because I used to love him with all my heart and its sad to see him become a monster" Rose utters under her breath. Arthur felt his heart stop when she revealed her love for the man who hurt her. Arthur had never loved someone like Rose had loved Daryl. He could see that the love she had for Daryl is endless and even though he had caused her so much suffering, she wished for him to get better and find someone to be happy with.

"One day he had some friends over. He wasn't in the room but one of these so called friends thought it be nice to touch me up and kiss me. I had never felt so violated and I thought Daryl would be supportive and come to his senses. He didn't believe me and said that I probably deserved it because of the way I was dressed and the way I look; like I was asking for it. That's when I decided to leave him" Rose explains in further detail, burning the mental images that popped into her. She shivers a little as if the hands of her attacker were still on her, groping part of her body she never wished to be touched. After that moment she had never been intimate with another person, consider she broke up with Daryl a week after the incident.

"I'm so sorry that happened to you" Arthur frowns, noticing her pain.

"This year has been hard, with my parents passing away and breaking up with Daryl. I really thought that coming here I could have a fresh start." Rose mumbles as she parks her car into the drive way of her gran's house.

"You still can" Arthur insists, taking her hand in his and giving it a was reassuring squeeze. Rose wanted to flinch away but something inside her told her to welcome his kind gesture as she held his large hand tightly.

"Thanks Arthur" She whisper, flutter her eyes as she peers through the lashes to meet his eyes. She gives him a small smile before letting go of his hand and getting out of the car. Arthur follows her up to the front porch in which she grabs her keys and opens the door.

"Welcome" She grins, gesturing him to come in.

"Ah, I remember this place now." Arthur express with a laugh as he looks at the familiar entrance way which he had not been in for about eight years.

"I don't know if you want to sleep on the couch? Or you can have my room and I will stay down here" Rose says as she slowly locks the front door behind her.

"The couch is fine" Arthur replies walking straight into the living room.

"Are you sure?" Rose questions him, a sense of guilt weighing her down.

"Yes" He answers quickly, watching as she remains standing in the open archway.

"Well, I'm going to head up to bed. Thanks again Arthur" She points back towards the stairs before tucking a stray hair behind her ear.