001: Sobriquet

Sobriquet: 

Noun
A person's nickname.

NounA person's nickname

☁☂☁

The office was clean and neat. The walls and table were both made of glass. I couldn't help thinking about how the room would look if it all shattered.

I sat beside my manager and across the main publisher. I wore a black coughing mask that covered the lower half of my face. I leaned back in the chair and watched as my manager shook the publisher's hand and began saying goodbye. I sat up straight and smiled at the publisher like I was listening to the conversation the whole time. Once Soseki stood up, I did too. I shook the man's hand and followed my manager out. "Were you even paying attention?" Soseki asked. 

"Yeah, of course," I lied and shrugged. I shoved both of my hands in my pockets after raising my hood. He sighed and rolled his eyes

"Yeah? What were we talking about?" He opened the black umbrella and handed it to me once we made it to the front door. 

"Kuma!" The people crowded around the buildings shouted behind the fence. Every one of them watched as I approached the black car with Soseki beside me. I turned towards them briefly and waved slightly. They continued shouting my alias even after I got in the car and began the driver began to drive away. I kept my mask and hood on even though the windows were tinted. I didn't know the driver. 

"You okay, kid?" Soseki. I glanced at him for a second then nodded. "You really weren't listening during that meeting, huh?" 

"I was... just not the entire time. It was mostly just formalities," I answered. "If there was anything important talked about, why can't you just tell me?" 

"I can, but you should still pay attention," Soseki sighed. I shrugged and rested my head against the window. The rest of the car drive to the airport was pretty quiet. Soseki handed me a plastic bag and said, "I'll see you later, kid. Be careful." 

"Yeah, you too," I answered. I stepped out of the car and took my suitcase from the driver's hand. I went to the closest bathroom and changed into the clothes the bag held. I stepped out of the bathroom stall and stared a the mirror for a second. I rolled my eyes. I wore baggy, light-colored jeans, a white T-shirt and red sneakers. I preferred wearing black. I shoved my old clothes and the plastic bag into my suitcase and left the bathroom. 

(Discreetly skipping the boarding part because I've never been on a plane and don't know how it works)

A few hours into the flight, the two people beside me began talking about an interesting topic. "Do you think Kuma is on this flight? I heard he was flying back to Japan today."