f a m i l i a r i t y

"i want you to know that you are not alone in your being alone

"i want you to know that you are not alone in your being alone." - Stephen Fry
~

dallas

Lynn didn't respond and her eyes were closed. Her body relaxed into the bed and her breathing slowed. "Lynn?" I asked

Still no response, she fell asleep. Both of them did. I didn't know what to do, I guess leave. I don't know what else I'd do here.

Lynn was sitting against the head board, barely off the edge of the bed. Gabe was resting on her shoulder, with how close she was to the edge it didn't look safe. I contemplated just leaving and hoping for the best, but Lynn was also buzzed. She probably wouldn't notice if something were to happen. I couldn't leave with a clear conscience.

I set down my flask on the dresser and stepped towards Lynn and Gabe, making sure I was quiet. I very carefully picked up Gabe, and tried to be so subtle that Lynn wouldn't notice. Luckily, she willingly let me take Gabe in my arms and she relaxed further into bed. I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding and stepped over to Gabe's crib. I carefully set him down, and I have never been more grateful than when he didn't cry. He too got comfortable and was peaceful, I let out another breath and stared for a moment.

I've always hated children, that's because they're loud and annoying and know how to push your buttons. But when they're not doing any of that, its a bit different. I stared at this baby, he was so at peace. I don't think I've been that peaceful and innocent in my entire life. Just the fact that this child has experienced 1/100 of his whole life and won't even remember it. I've never thought about it that way. I don't understand why its so fascinating to me.

I snapped myself out of it turned back around, grabbing my flask off the dresser and stuffing it back in my jacket. I looked back at Lynn and she was uncovered, I saw her subtly curl up, and realized she was probably cold. I sighed and grabbed a blanket off the bed, draping it over Lynn. She snuggled up with it, and I considered my job here done.

I went to walk out of the room and close the door, but was stopped by a voice calling me back "Dallas?"

I turned my head to look over my shoulder and my eyes adjusted to the dark to where I could see Lynn's eyes open and looking back at me. "Yeah?"

"Stay...please."

The look in Lynn's eyes said a million words. She didn't want me hungrily, she just didn't want to be alone. Or better yet, she was tired of being alone. I've had that same look in my eye, and I know how much it hurts. "You sure?"

"Just for the night. If you want...you don't have to." Lynn frowned

My heart hurt when I saw the look on her face, its as if I've seen it before. All of a sudden I did remember that time I saw her cry behind the school, she wore the same face. The same, broken expression that would make anyone's heart shatter.

It didn't take me much thought to make up my mind, I closed the bedroom door and walked towards the bed once again. Lynn scoot over to give me room and I took off my jacket. I climbed into the small bed and Lynn wrapped her arms around my torso. I draped my arm around her shoulders, holding her close. The room was cold but her body was warm, she easily relaxed as I got comfortable.

"Thank you." She mumbled. I felt her chest vibrate as she spoke.

I've never had someone so thankful I didn't leave. It even gave me a sense of security, I smiled to myself knowing I can make someone happy just by being there for them. I've never had that. It seems like we needed each other, nothing goes together better than two lonesome people looking for a way out.

"Hey, Lynn?" I asked

"Yeah?" She groggily replied

"Would you like me to stay longer than just tonight?" I offered

Lynn looked up with a completely different expression than the one before. The one of desperation was gone, now it was one I've never had someone give me, pure disbelief and joy. "Really?"

I smiled at her, "Yeah. As long as you'd want me to."

Lynn smiled so big I could have swore the sparkle in her eye came from a tear, "I don't deserve you, Texas."

I kissed Lynn's forehead and held her tighter, "You're right, you deserve better. But for now I'll stay here as long as you want."

Lynn hugged me tighter and nuzzled her head into my chest, "You're better than I can ask for."

We both closed our eyes with smiles on our faces as we held each other in that cold, dark bedroom. And before we knew it, both of our slightly drunk selves fell fast asleep.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
834 words

Its 4 AM guys and I didn't let myself go to bed until I finished this chapter so APPRECIATE IT lol

Its 4 AM guys and I didn't let myself go to bed until I finished this chapter so APPRECIATE IT lol. Hope you guys like the story, vote and comment if you do, it makes my day
- m

1/7/19