[PRELUDE]

SUMMARY
Ever since she can remember, Kaylee Oh could see the thin red string tied around everyone's pinky; everyone's except her's.

However, that doesn't stop her from falling head over heels for her best friend, Jonah Geller, who, apparently, is completely smitten for her too. But, unlike Kaylee, Jonah has someone meant for him. It's just not her.

And so before everything comes crumbling down, Kaylee will grab every opportunity she can get to be with him. Because Kaylee isn't his. And Kaylee will never be his — because she can never be anyone's.

════════════════════════════════════════

WARNING
- swearing
- heartbreak
- wrong grammar

════════════════════════════════════════

DEDICATION
To my grandma, who has once loved and lost.

════════════════════════════════════════

AUTHOR'S NOTE
Okay, so I have this pet peeve of disliking typical romance happy endings. I mean, don't get me wrong there are some that I really enjoy (like the masterpiece that is 10 Things I Hate About You), but it's become this expectation wherein every story has to have this perfect, closed-off ending. Like no, real life isn't like that. Real life is shit. If I could kick its ass, I would.

And now I have this weird passion for stories that withdraw from your typical happy endings. Like the main couple breaking up in the end or the lead deciding to leave instead of risking it all for love. You know, bitterweet shit 'cause that's my tea apparently. (Also, screw expectations — I liked to be surprised).

Because life is ineffable, and what's the point of a reading a story solely for the ending when the middle is the best part?
-andy