[1] Valentine's Day

Kaylee Oh hated Valentines Day.

From the movies to the romantic gestures — she hated them all. Part of the reason why was the cliche of it all, how romance would either be repeated too much that it would be cringy or how it would be exaggerated every year just to prove a point. That you love someone, in the most unrealistic of ways.

While eating her breakfast, Kaylee watched in distaste as her father came up behind her mother, holding a bouquet of her favourite flowers behind his back. He whispered something in her ear, which made her jump, accidentally hitting him with her spatula. They laughed, they kissed, and Kaylee almost vomited in her cereal.

Love. How disgusting.

"Kaylee, stop making that face," her mum snarled. Though, it was hard to take her seriously with her husband's hands wrapped around her waist. "You're ruining the mood."

"Better get used to that, oemma," her little brother, Kevin, added as he took a seat next to Kaylee. "Kaylee's a bitter bitch—"

"Ya!" Their mum yelled, almost throwing her spatula at them. "You better shut your mouth. I did not bring you to America to be disrespectful."

"I know right, eomma!" Kaylee agreed, her mouth full of fruit-loops as she placed her finger on the side of her brother's head and pushed it away. "Kevin's so rude—"

"Aish, don't even get me started with you." Her mum flicked her forehead. Seconds later, as Kaylee rubbed the sore spot in between her eyebrows, the doorbell rang. "Your friend's here. Go say goodbye to your grandma before you leave. She's in the living room."

"Hm," Kaylee hummed as she grabbed her bag off the floor and walked to the living room, ignoring her brother singing "Kaylee and Jonah sitting on a tree K-I-S-S-I-N-G" on her way out.

Her grandmother sat on the rocking chair near the fireplace, looking out the window as if something worthwhile was on the other side of the glass. When Kaylee entered, her grandma immediately shifted her focus on her and smiled.

"Leaving for school already?" She asked as Kaylee hummed and gave her a hug gooodbye. "Behave. Always listen to your teacher and get good grades—"

"I know halmeoni."

Her grandmother's eyes shifted again to the window. When she returned her gaze to Kaylee, she leaned in and whispered, "And good luck with Jonah. You never know, maybe this is your lucky day."

Kaylee forced a smile and nodded. Gripping the sling of her bag tighter than she should have as she headed out the door. Because halmeoni didn't see what she sees — nor did her parents, her brother, or anyone really.

No one but Kaylee saw the thin red string that was tied around her parents' pinky fingers, linking them together. The thin red string, which tangled and stretched but never broke, that was tied around everyone's pinky finger, connecting two souls that were fated to meet, regardless of place, time, or circumstances.

Everyone had it. Everyone except Kaylee.

Kaylee hated Valentines Day.

Not because of the movies or the romantic gestures. And not because of the repetitive or exaggerated romances. But because it was a reminder that — cliches and all — she would never have it. She would never have someone who will buy her flowers, never have someone who will make a fool out of themselves for her, never have someone who will honestly want her to be theirs.

And what truly stung Kaylee the most was that, when she opened the door, standing in front of her was Jonah Geller. The boy who had ridiculously curly hair, wore goofy grins, and made the world's most awful puns. Who had swept Kaylee off her feet without even trying and had her heart tucked in his back pocket.

Jonah Geller was someone that, no matter what, Kaylee would never have.

══════════════════════════════════════════════════════

AUTHOR'S NOTE
I never really thought I'd end up writing this book but here we are! I'm actually pretty proud of this chapter, even if it is short, considering I wrote under somewhat noisy conditions. I hope you enjoyed the first chapter and vote/comment if you can ~
- andy