XV

As the sunlight of a golden afternoon streamed through the tall windows of the illustrious castle, excited chatter echoed throughout the halls. Not only had a wedding taken place, but it was also a farewell party for many there. The celebration could not have been more lavish.

Arthur had certainly spared no expense. Francis found him awake in the night on several occasions as he muttered plans under his breath. At least the master seemed happy that everything was going well, and though it was clear he was no socialite, he was hopping all around the castle as he made sure everything was going well.

“Kinda bittersweet, isn't it?” Alfred asked as he snuck up behind Francis, gently nudging him to get his attention. The two watched Gilbert and Matthew as they danced, lost in their own little world. “We just got reunited and now we're gonna be separated again.”

Though Francis did feel a slight ache in his chest despite his happiness, he shook his head and watched the newlywed couple as they whispered things to each other that made them giggle and kiss one another. “It isn't so bad. Sure we'll be apart, but we have our own lives to live, and I know we'll all be happy.”

This he knew was true. The five of them, though they would be far away from each other, would all be perfectly content. Everything was unfolding as it should have for them, and Francis knew that this was how things were supposed to be. He might grow homesick, but Arthur would always be by his side.

“Whatever you say. You know what? I think I'm gonna go see if Erzébet needs any help in the kitchen,” Alfred decided as he ran off. Francis didn't have long to wait until he saw his brother being chased out of the kitchen by the brunette chef, who was holding up her skirt with one hand to better chase the guard as she hit at him with a wooden spoon in her other hand.

The scene made him chuckle and shake his head. Alfred certainly hadn't changed much in the years that had passed. As he crossed his arms and watched his brother run, Arthur came up behind him and wrapped his arms around his waist.

“Are you so sure that sending him to Prussia is such a good idea? I've heard their military doctrine is rather strict, perhaps the strictest in all Europe even,” Arthur hummed, resting his chin on Francis, who crouched slightly so the Briton could reach.

The Frenchman reached behind him and ruffled his lover’s hair. “I think so. Gilbert managed to survive it, after all,” he replied, but he couldn't be positive. There were still many things that were not known about the Beilschmidt family, even if they weren't intentionally secretive about their past. Maybe his brother wouldn't be able to handle it.

But before he could worry about it any longer, his love stood on his toes and kissed his cheek before resting his hands on Francis’ waist for support. “Are you ready to travel north? Do you have everything you need?” The Briton asked him, receiving a nod in response.

After considering it for a long moment, Francis slowly nodded. He had everything he needed for his art, his clothes, and some little gifts from his brothers that had accumulated over the years. His needlework from Arthur was kept on him at all times; he was already homesick and he hadn't even left his native France yet.

“Then will you dance with me? I'll take the lead this time and we'll take it slow,” Arthur assured Francis, letting go of him and moving in front of him before taking his hands and gently swinging them. It was clear he was going to get his way, so Francis easily gave in.

It was hard to argue with anyway. Arthur was already leading him to the ballroom where they had danced once before, a reserved, yet pleased smile on his face.

This time it could only feel more natural than it did a month prior, on that one particular evening. Francis’ hand felt natural as ever on the Briton's waist, and he suspected his lover was enjoying himself just as much if not more. His dancing skills were certainly something to note. It would have embarrassed Francis if the Frenchman hadn't remembered Arthur's expensive noble education probably had him study dancing as much as he had studied French.