Chapter 3

I bolted up in bed screaming and gasping for breath, as a mixture of sweat and tears raced down my face. I checked the clock. 3:24. I had another one of my recurring nightmares. I usually have it every month. I never remember them, but they really scare me. My door was opened and footsteps rushed in, turning the light on. Ponyboy rushed over to my side, Soda on his heels.

"Autumn are you alright?!" Pony exclaimed. I just shook my head and hugged him tightly. He held me firmly, making me feel safer. I was sobbing into Pony's shoulder and Soda was rubbing my back, calming me down. After a couple minutes, I pulled away and sat back on my bed.

"I-I had a n-nightmare." I said, trying to wipe away the never ending tears.

"Do you wanna talk about it?" Ponyboy asked. I shook my head.

"I-I don't remember it." I told them. Pony and Soda exchanged glances worriedly.

"That used to happen to me after our parents passed away." Ponyboy explained. I nodded, tears still falling.

"It's horrible." I said. Ponyboy nodded.

"Can I sleep with one of you tonight?" I asked.

"You can sleep with me." Ponyboy replied. We got up and I grabbed Pony's hand as he led me into the hallway, soda following. I gripped Pony's hand very tightly as we walked through the dark hallway. We finally got to their room and Ponyboy and I laid down in his bed. Soda came over and hugged me and we both said goodnight. Pony wrapped his arms around me and I curled up into his chest, falling asleep feeling safe and warm.

I woke up still wrapped in Ponyboys strong embrace. I turned my head to see him staring at me.

"What?" I questioned. He smirked.

"You're beautiful, Autumn." He complimented me. I blushed.

"Thanks. And thanks for letting me sleep here." I said. He smiled. I looked into his chocolate brown eyes. I could stare at them forever. He leaned in and I closed my eyes, feeling his soft lips meet mine. Our lips moved in sync as Ponyboy reached his hands to my waist, pulling me closer. I put my hand on his head, the brown waves tickling my hand. He put his hand on my neck, deepening the kiss. After about a minute, we both pulled away. He kept his hand on my neck, still looking into my eyes. I blushed and smiled, looking down. He put his finger under my chin, lifting it up.

"You're cute when you blush." He told me, smiling. My heart was pounding in my chest as I felt my cheeks heat up even more.

"Hey Autumn?" He asked.

"Yeah?" I replied, looking into his eyes.

"I think I'm falling for you." He told me, leaning in and kissing me again. I smiled into the kiss, feeling him smile too. We pulled away.

"I think I'm falling for you too Ponyboy." I answered, holding his hand.

I must've fallen back asleep, because I was woken up about an hour and a half later by Ponyboy.

"Wake up beautiful." He said, standing over me, smiling. I grinned and he helped me up.

"So whaddya wanna do today? Everyone's gone." He told me.

"Wanna go to the park?" I suggested. Pony nodded and we each took a shower, separately, and got ready. I met him downstairs and put my shoes on. I slipped my hand in his as we walked down the street, towards the park. I jumped as a car honked at us.

"Greaser!" The driver yelled. I gripped Ponyboy's hand tighter and he crossed over me so he was closest to the car, protecting me. The car came to a stop and eight socs got out.

"What's a pretty young girl like you doing hanging around a greaser like him?" The lead one asked.

"Hey! Back off." Ponyboy exclaimed. The one with the rings laughed.

"Why don't you come with us for a little while, Hun?" He said to me, coming closer. Ponyboy gently pushed me behind him.

"She's not going anywhere! Especially with you!" Pony yelled. I was terrified. It was eight against two.

"Autumn. Go get the gang. They're at the movies. I'll be okay." Pony whispered, so only I could here.

"But-" I started.

"Just go Autumn. I love you." He said.

"I love you too, Pony. Be careful. I'll be right back." I told him. He nodded and I took off running towards the drive in. I ran in and looked into the seats. I couldn't find them.

"Hey Autumn I thought you were with Pony?" Someone said from behind me. I turned around to see Dallas with a bunch of Cokes.

"Dally there's Socs they pulled up next to us and pony told me to get you guys. There's eight of them we have to hurry Ponys all alone!" I shouted. His eyes widened. He ran and got the rest of the boys. They all got up and followed me. We turned the corner and ran down the street. We turned another corner and I saw three Socs holding Ponyboy down as the one with the rings was hitting him.

"Hey! Get away from him!" Soda yelled, punching the soc with the rings. All the boys started hitting the Socs and I ran to Ponyboy.

"Pony are you okay?" I asked, tears in my eyes. He nodded.

"Yeah. You guys got here before they could do anything. He just hit me a couple times. Thanks Autumn." He told me. I smiled and Ponyboy got up and started hitting the smallest soc, who was a little bigger than him. One of the Socs came up to me.

"Hey look who's back." He said, grabbing my hair and yanking it. He pinned me down and was about to beat me, but he was pulled off of me and punched in the face by Dallas. The Socs got in their car and sped away. I ran to Ponyboy and he pulled me into his arms. I inhaled his scent of smoke and slight cologne, as he held me tightly. We pulled away and he wrapped his arm around me and started walking with the gang.

"So are you guys a thing?" Steve asked me and Pony. Pony looked down at me and smiled.

"Yep." He answered.

"Autumn and Pony sitting in a tree. K-I-S-S-I-N-G." Two-Bit sang. I giggled, and Ponyboy grinned.

"You guys wanna come back to my house?" I asked. They nodded and we started walking to my house.

We got in and Two-Bit went right to my kitchen, Dally, Johnny, and Steve went to the living room, soda went to make popcorn, and Pony and I went to find a movie or two to watch. We decided on Grease and To Sir With Love. Two-Bit sat on the floor with some pizza he found, johnny sat in one chair, Steve sat in the other armchair, soda and Dallas sat on one couch, and pony and I laid on the other.

When the movies ended, we hung out in the living room and had an arm wrestling battle. Each person went against everyone. I beat johnny, then I went against Ponyboy and it was close for a little bit, and I could tell he was going easy on me, until he used all of his strength and slammed my arm down. I laughed. Dally, Soda, Two-Bit and Steve all beat me right away. We came to a conclusion that Dally and Steve were the strongest.