25: Evil Bunny Slippers Usually Come in Pairs

"No!"

Ryan tried to run forward, but her legs dragged behind like weights.

Liam kept teetering between helpful and downright creepy for her, but that didn't mean she didn't care. She derived no joy seeing a acquaintance drown, that was for sure.

Zack flickered. He appeared in midair beside Liam, grabbed him by the shoulders, then appeared behind Ryan.

To Ryan, it was almost like something she'd seen in a science fiction movie. She stood speechless.

Zack stumbled and dropped Liam face-first onto the grass.

Liam wriggled around and extended his hair, pulling the rope off of himself. His glasses were cracked, but he didn't seem to pay any mind.

"Was your teleporting always that accurate?" He asked.

Zack huffed and grabbed his legs, his knees shook like jelly.

"No, it most definitely was not." He murmured.

Without another word, he collapsed.

Great. Ryan thought. He passes out more often than those chicks from the Dark Ages.

Pixel bounded to Zack's side. She pawed at his face but if he noticed, he didn't stir. She batted at his glasses, a low growl coming from her throat as she flicked her tail.

Liam moved Pixel aside. He snatched his bag from Zack and rummaged through its contents. Ryan watched the mental tally in his eyes. His expression shifted from worry, to anger, finally resting on relief.

Dominic and Carson snapped their heads back in a synchronized motion. Their faces blank. The green glow of their eyes illuminated the area.

Ryan slowly backed away. She dug around in her pockets for her knuckles. Once she found them, she clenched her fists around their cold metal edges. She couldn't just fight them off, could she? There was no way, not without help.

She turned to Liam.

He shifted around in his bag, small glass clinks rang out from inside.

Part of Ryan wished she snooped around when she had the chance, but it was too late now.

What would a creep like Liam keep in his bag anyways. Dead animals? Drugs? Candy wrappers? She didn't know or care at this point. All that mattered was that two magics were in front of them, and they didn't look too pleased.

"Liam, are you sure now's the time to be organizing?" She said.

Dominic and Carson flapped towards Ryan. Their teeth bared.

Liam scooped up Zack in his hair. He shoved a juice box into Zack's hands, cradling him back and forth.

Zack grasped the juice box in his claws, snuggling further into Liam's locks.

If Ryan weren't scared out of her mind, she might have laughed.

Liam whispered something to Zack and tickled his nose with a few stray hairs.

Ryan rubbed her palms. Sweat beaded her forehead like jewelry. She wiped her face with the back of her sweater sleeve.

Dominic and Carson flew closer, their gaze shifted between Liam and Ryan.

"Liam!" She urged.

"Run!" He said. "I'll figure out a way to fix this, just distract them for now!"

"Alright, I trust you!"

A look flashed across Liam's face for a brief moment, a mix between a squint and a smug smile.