26: Inky Fingers

The red trees lounged in the wind. Cool breeze filled the air, and a large pine towered over the group.

Carson and Dominic laid unconscious under its embrace.

Ryan stood watch next to them in silence for what seemed like hours, though it couldn't have been more than a few minutes.

Oscar and Zack spoke rapidly in a language Ryan assumed was French. She couldn't understand a word, but somehow that put her more at ease, at least until her name popped up in the conversation.

Ryan shifted awkwardly with her sweatshirt sleeve. Seeing Zack's brighten after his papa came to save the day sent a pang through her chest. Would her aunt do that if she were in trouble?

She shook her head. Longing struck her heart like ice.

No, her aunt would most likely laugh at her, or blame her for getting into trouble in the first place, or both. There would be no comfort found in her arms.

She put her hand on her arm and picked at her freckles.

It wasn't fair. Why did other people get families like that? Why couldn't she have what Zack had?

But she knew exactly why. She wasn't deserving of something such as that, she had to earn it. She already cursed the world by entering it.

She dug her nails into her arm.

Zack placed his hand on her shoulder and smiled softly.

She turned her head away.

Zack. He couldn't counsel her, not this time. With a simple act from his father Zack proved he had more than Ryan could ever want. Something she could never have.

A surge of bitterness stung her throat.

"This is your dad, right?" She muttered. "I'm not just jumping to conclusions?"

Zack nodded and turned his head to Oscar.

"Papa, I'd like you to meet Ryan, she's the human—"

"Yes, I can see that." He huffed. "There aren't many others here with rounded ears."

Ryan and Zack stood silent at his comment.

He didn't have a lick of sarcasm in his voice. It was flat and blunt, as if he were stating a regular fact that neither of them knew. Oh yeah, he was definitely a teacher.

Oscar adjusted his lab coat, it flew behind him in the breeze like a cape. Holes poked through the edges of the fabric, and it had so many stains that Ryan couldn't tell what color it had been originally.

He grunted. His posture stiff and almost robotic as he leaned down to inspect Ryan. His eyes were hooded behind his glasses and his ears twitched.

Oscar scratched his ginger goatee.

"How fascinating. You're human, but you don't smell human." He muttered.

Ryan wasn't sure if she should've been insulted or not. "Smell human?" What did humans smell like? What did she smell like?

She scoffed. The smell of trash and depression. Her new exotic perfume that was out for a limited time only.

"No matter."

Oscar held out a sweaty hand and Ryan nearly jumped back in surprise.

"This is a human custom, correct? A handshake?" He said.

Ryan nodded, but still kept her gaze locked onto his palm.

His hands were calloused, yet nimble and thin. Ink blotches dotted every inch of his skin, but what surprised Ryan the most were his fingernails.