Chapter 26 - Beggars and bastards

---

Chapter 26 - Beggars and Bastards

---

Skye stood in the centre of the arena beside Luke, listening to Tayne’s introductions for the second time in as many days.

Unlike yesterday, the sun was completely out and shining in all its glory. While the crowd and vendors traversing the stands seemed to enjoy the warmer weather, Skye’s armour was uncomfortably hot. Her tunic clung to her skin and sweat gathered under the breastplate. She resisted the urge to tug at the offending clothing and snuck a sideways glance at Luke.

The Silverborn showed no sign of being affected by the heat, but even in half-armour the plate made the heat hard to bear. Skye herself felt like she was already baking inside like one of Jesse’s beloved rolls. In the forests where she’d trained, it’d always been cool. She hated this heat.

Maybe magic could filter the air. Celestials had something like that, but they’re directly linked to the source... She cut the thought short as the familiar warmth blossomed to life on her arm. No magic today, unless it was healing. She didn’t want anyone to assume she was using it to gain an advantage. She had to show them she was worthy.  

With an internal sigh, she adopted Luke’s stalwart stance and resigned herself to the end of Tayne’s speech. The crowd’s eyes were still upon her, and she refused to appear weak after yesterday’s performance.

“These are our chosen masters of the Silverborn. Do you accept our selection, King Darien?” said Tayne with a low bow.

If she has a problem with me again today I’ll just silence her. Or knock her out, mused Skye. It’d be more appropriate, not to mention convenient. Skye hid her smile at the thought. Alice’s wariness of her was not completely unfounded.

After a quick glance at his Queen, Darien rose to a stand. “I do. You may proceed with the trial, Silverborn. Sentinel Skye has been proven worthy.” That said, he gathered his robes around his figure and sat. A nearby servant immediately fanned his face, while another, head bowed, held out a goblet which the King promptly took and swallowed with barely a nod of thanks.

 It’s a miracle he hasn’t passed out with all the ridiculous clothing he’s wearing, although it may serve him right, thought Skye, taking in the ragged edges of the servants clothing. Verdrana’s words echoed in her mind.

Most of Alguarde’s non-demon related problems would be solved if the nobles weren’t so tight of pocket. The system is flawed and makes it harder for the poor to escape.

“Then, with the permission of his majesty, let the trial commence! Masters, return to your stations.”

Excited whispers broke out through the stands. Tayne retreated to the far side of the arena where several Silverborn initiates stood awaiting orders. Skye watched with a curious fascination while Tayne gestured and seemed to organise them with two words. A second later three initiates marched out the exit leading to the hopeful’s pavilion.

Skye cut her observation short when Luke fell into step beside her. They walked as a tight pair across the dusty ground. On the opposite side of the arena, Nissa and Andro mirrored their actions.

“You’ll have five minutes to prepare before it begins. You ready, elfie?” asked Luke once they were far enough from the royals.

Skye inclined her head slightly. “I’ll get you back for that later, tree boy.”

From the corner of her eye, she saw him merely grin in response.

They reached the end of the arena quickly. Luke split away from her with a touch to his forehead. Skye continued on to her designated corner, where a small pavilion had been set up and an initiate waiting.