Chapter 34 - One of the Many

Dedicated to H4Y13Y ~ Check out her story, Heir of the Dragon and the artwork she does for it! 

---

Chapter 34 - One of the Many

---

The forest called, and Skye embraced it.

Roots sprang from the ground under her feet, stem and limb working as extensions of each other to increase the distance each stride took her. Leaf litter cushioned her steps. Tree branches bent from her path and the grass whispered to her, letting her know where to leap.

All around her, life resonated with a tangible emerald light that replaced the air. Each breath filled her with energy anew, the draw revitalising her spirit as food or water never could. Time lost meaning and she barely noticed when night shifted into day, or when twilight crept over the land.

She came to a place where a creek had run a sizable rut into the landscape and leapt the distance without hesitation.

This was what it meant to be a Sentinel, what the forest had been trying to show her in her first days of her magic. It’d tried to show her this entire world that was open to her, a world where she could hide amongst the trees and never be found. She’d never needed Alguarde with its walls of stone that blocked out the forest. 

I wasn’t strong enough to accept your offer then, she told it. I wasn’t strong enough to be a part of the many and still keep myself.

It caressed her skin, more solid than any breeze. What are you afraid of? it asked. You would be one of many, and the many are strong... the many cannot be broken as one can...

The elven part of her mind reasoned that she didn’t want to be part of the many. She was an individual, deities be damned. The forest tugged at the thought, pulling her away once more. She was deep in the nether realm now, past the point where the rules of the mortal realm were absolute. Individuals conformed or they were absorbed into the ether.

Trees went by in a blur of motion, each reaching out and stroking her arm as she passed. Skye didn’t recoil from their touch. Rather, she leaned into them, absorbing their essence. For some reason, that made the many happy. Curious, she searched for the reason. She found one name floating in their consciousness.

Tayne.

A memory of silver blades and three men rushing into a room replaced her sight. She looked up at them from the floor before a burst of green light shifted the vision. A man dressed in silver, out of breath and panting in the doorway with emerald and lilac light fighting for control at the edges.

The name took root in her mind. Her fingers brushed the edge of her sword’s hilt and the haze clouding her vision faded.

Tayne.

Her actions became conscious and she faltered, tripping and colliding painfully with the ground. She sat there for a moment, hand wrapped firmly around her sword. She drew in deep breaths of air, anchored to the memory of Tayne.

Deity of nature, help me. Protect me from them. I can’t reach Naisha without their aid.

A root rose from the earth and curled around her boot, its edges tinged with a green glow. It promised assistance, but already she could feel her control slipping, her resolve being replaced by another’s. The haze returned over her vision. Skye closed her eyes and kicked it away.

Why do you tempt me so? Do you want me to lose my mind? she asked silently, glancing around for answers.

The forest sighed.