Chapter 27 - The Intruder's shadow

---

Chapter 27 - The Intruder’s shadow.

---

Moonlight filtered through the window, illuminating the sheets of paper resting on Tayne’s desk.

It wasn’t necessary for him to have the heavy drapes drawn back. The lantern provided more than enough light to read by, but there was something alluring about the moon that Tayne just couldn’t resist. He gazed out the window, staring with wonder at the bright orb that hung in the sky.

Only two more nights until there’ll be no moon at all.

“You need to get some rest,” said Wrain. The massive Silverborn placed a hand on the desk, snapping Tayne out of his trance.

Tayne blinked. “I’m fine, really. We need to sort this out.” He narrowed his eyes and tried to focus on the words scrawled across the pages. They weren’t co-operating as far as he was concerned. They blurred and refused to form coherent sentences.

“No, you’re not. I’ve seen that look on you before. It’s late, only three hours until dawn if I am correct. It’ll do us no good with you like this.” Wrain gathered the pages from under Tayne’s unresisting hands and bundled them neatly. “We’ll finish this tomorrow.”

Tayne pushed back his chair, wrinkling the rug beneath his feet. “Are you sure? I don’t mind staying; I know you’ll stay for another hour or so after I’m gone anyway.”

Wrain inclined his head. “Observant as always. Go, get some rest. I will update you tomorrow. Take the lantern; I have another.”

“Don’t stay too late. We’ve got another meeting with Darien in the morning.”

“Can you not take Luke?” asked Wrain with a frown.

“Donovan will be there.”

“Ah. I shall be ready then. I bid you good night, Tayne.”

“Night. Thank you, Wrain.”

Tayne grabbed the lantern by its silver handle and headed out into the corridor with a sigh. He glanced over his shoulder when he stood outside the door’s threshold. Wrain was already hunched over the desk, head bowed over the delicate pages. Tayne shook his head and pulled the door shut with a quiet click. There was nothing he could say to make Wrain wait for him and his own concentration was sorely depleted.

The elder knight was right; he needed sleep. Training the initiates with Luke and constant counsels with the royals left him drained. He knew they’d have to leave Alguarde soon, but he was loathe to leave Skye at the mercy of the royals.

Then again, he thought with a smile, she just might whip them into shape. He’d seen how she handled herself around them. It was nothing short of impressive.

Tayne ran a hand through his hair, lost in thought. He watched the lamplight flicker on the walls. If he’d left earlier, the silver orbs that resided in the ceiling would still be alight. At this late hour, he was greeted with only darkness and the sound of his own boots against the stonework. He turned another corner, headed for his chambers.  

Damn demons. Karrosh needs to move without a doubt. The ward grows weaker by the day. Tayne shook his head. He won’t be happy, but it’s too much of a risk.

A noise echoed down the hall. Tayne halted. He tilted his head; sure he’d heard something. He turned around slowly, eyes scanning the dark for movement.

The initiates had better not be out of bed. It wasn’t probable, but still possible. He’d disciplined three of them earlier in the week for disorderly conduct. Another thought, a more likely possibility crossed his mind. Once there, he couldn’t shake it.