01

It starts when you're young. You develop ideas of what you want to be. For most little boys they want to become someone in charge and stands in the face of violence. Careers like police officers, firefighters, or soldiers. This was no stranger to Gerard Way. At the age of eighteen he graduated and immediately pursued his dream to become part of the U.S. Marines.

The Vietnam War was at it's height when the man entered the force. After thirteen physically, emotionally, and mentally draining weeks Gerard was drafted to Vietnam where he fought for nearly two years. Until June of 1967, they were sent home for a few weeks, traveling in an aircraft to San Francisco.

"You excited to see Mom and Dad?" the voice of his little brother was enough to make Gerard smile. Not long after Gerard's graduation, his little brother Mikey dropped out of high school to go to training as well. Both boys had a fascination with war and were fortunate enough to be on the same squad. Gerard loved having his brother there to bring him back to Earth when it seemed like all he was doing was killing. In the back of his mind he always remembered it was dangerous for Mikey to be with him, one wrong move and his brother could be as good as gone, "Gee?"

Gerard snapped out of his thoughts and looked over at his brother. Smiling at Mikey's concerned expression he responded, "Of course I am! I just hope they aren't ashamed of what we are doing." although the men have not been in the States for an extended amount of time they had heard people were not too keen on soldier's participation in Vietnam. Gerard hoped his parents were proud, like any child would.

Through his thick glasses Gerard could see water glossing over Mikey's brown eyes. It was no question in their short period of serving that they had gone through a lot. Death and fear was something they faced every day. Just the pure thought of his parents and their possible protest was enough to make Mikey emotional, "I-I'm sure they're proud. They have to be!" his voice squeaked causing the sleeping man sitting next to him to be startled.

"Fuck- Way keep your voice down. We have a long ways to go and I'd appreciate if you let me sleep." that sleeping man was Frank Iero. He was quite intimidating from his quick temper and upfront attitude but everyone in the squad knew he was a sweetheart deep down. Underneath all those tattoos and death glares was a giggly and sweet man.

To Gerard's right was Raymond Toro. He was the most positive and vibrant person the older Way knew. Just how Mikey could keep Gerard grounded Toro did the same thing to the entire squad, "Oh c'mon Frank. Don't be so mean." Ray interjected.

Iero scoffed while crossing his arms. This caused the man to Mikey's right to laugh, "Yeah Frankie don't be so mean!" said man was Bob Bryar. He was someone you could love to hate. Bryar acted like that big brother that would pick on you but you knew he cared for you somewhere in the black heart of his.

"Bryar." Gerard said sternly making Bob roll his eyes and smirk. He put his hands up in defense when Way shook his head at the man's actions.

"I shouldn't have said anything," Frank groaned, "you guys are impossible to shut up!" he laid back his head on the aircraft walls. Gerard sighed, coming to the realization that he would be stuck with the four men for another sixteen hours.

• • •

With the promise of a morning sun brought America. The five soldiers had made it to San Francisco. When the aircraft landed the pressure caused the sleeping men to open their eyes with excessive force. They were used to being on guard for two years, having to defend themselves against the brutal killings but in a first world country you could sleep a little more peacefully.