04

Gerard woke up drenched in his own sweat and tears. After an intense dream of inconsistency it was enough to wake him at six o'clock in the morning. In the make believe dream, war wreaked havoc, spreading slowly across the world. Gerard's parents becoming victims of the hail of bullets. The only people alive was him, Mikey, Ray, Frank, and Bob. Each one dying off until the last one standing was Gerard. As soon as his brother died Gerard woke up, dried tears on his cheeks, sweating profusely.

"Michael dear, please go wake your brother." Through the thin walls of the home the man could hear his mother, Donna's soft, soothing voice. He knew her sweet tone would be scolding him for staying out too late as soon as he made his appearance downstairs. Gerard was also sure his little brother would be teasing him for running off.

The comforter pooled around his hips as he sat up in bed, wiping his eyes and trying to wake up himself up. Soon enough Mikey busted through the door still dressed in his pajamas and his hair still messy, like mine. He looked around almost like he searching for me in the dark, "Mom said to wake up." Just a few years ago he hated hearing the phrase but now it was soothing for Gerard to hear it now. Never had he missed a few simple words more in his life. He was conditioned to wake up to his squad yelling at him or the sound of bullets raging beyond.

It took a moment for Gerard to realize he needed to respond but all he could muster was a quick hum. This was enough for Mikey to leave, but he left the door open so the light poured in, making Gerard stay up. His feet hit the floor, making their way to the hall, down the stairs, and to the kitchen where his mom was making a big breakfast like every morning at some God-awful hour. Gerard looked over at the clock to confirm it was way too early. It was surprising to him that he had woken up later than Mikey, usually it was the other way 'round.

Through the smoke of frying bacon, Gerard's mother could see the sleepy mess that was her son, "Good morning hon, did you sleep well?" she asked but before Gerard could respond it was as if a switch turned on, "Why were you out so late last night Gerard?"

Gerard knew that tone, it was part concerned, part angry. One thing he did not miss was his mom's tendency to be overly 'motherly'. At twenty years-old Gerard was being lectured on staying out too late. The man knew she just worried though. After two long years of her children being absent rightfully you'd be concerned of what they were getting theirselves into. With a small smile he replied, "Went walking in the park for a bit. The bar scene really wasn't for me." Gerard chuckled a little before looking at his brother who was sitting at the kitchen table giving him a death glare. Both of them knowing why he left.

Silently Gerard sat next to his brother who leaned closer to him, "Ya'know Bryar was only kidding right?" It was only a quiet whisper but it meant a lot to Gerard. He could withstand a joke but what his squad member said was not a joke it was a legitimate question. Slumping down into his chair Gerard sighed and ignored what his sibling murmured to him.

"Dear! Breakfast is almost done." Donna shouted at Gerard's father, Donald. Examining his mom further he realized she was dressed in a turquoise  high waist pencil skirt and a matching cropped jacket. Gerard blanked out on the fact that it was Friday and soon his parents needed to leave for work. His dad (also dressed formally in a suit) walked into the kitchen and sat at the table with his sons. Plating their food, and sitting down with her children Donna smiled, beyond happy to have her boys home.

With the occasional small talk and foot kicks from his little brother, Gerard was able to make it through breakfast. Being the good son he was the older brother decided he should clean the dishes as his parents dashed out the door for work. Scrubbing a plate Gerard could hear his brother snickering, "What's your issue?" Gerard huffed, shutting the water off and turning around to see Mikey peeking his eyes from behind the wall.