Three: Commander Zhao

𝐒𝐞𝐧 - 𝐁𝐨𝐨𝐤 𝐎𝐧𝐞 - 𝐏𝐚𝐫𝐭 𝐓𝐡𝐫𝐞𝐞

As Zuko hesitantly told Zhao of my origin in the Southern Tribe who supposedly didn't have any more benders, Zhao didn't drop the topic.

"So you have a young Waterbender? What purpose does he serve to you? Besides, he looks very similar to someone I used to know," Zhao smirked to Zuko's confusion.

"Don't test me," I mutter with a side glance at Zuko and Iroh.

"Wha-" Zuko was cut off by Zhao's soldier walking into the tent.

"Commander Zhao, we interrogated the crew as you instructed. They confirmed Prince Zuko had the Avatar in custody, but let him escape. The Waterbender was with the Avatar," he informed. 

"Now remind me," Zhao said as he walked up to Zuko, "how, exactly, was your ship damaged?"

"So a twelve-year-old boy and one Waterbender bested you and your Firebenders," Zhao muses as he paces, "You're more pathetic than I thought," he grumbled as he stopped walking.  

Suddenly he yanked my chains from Zuko and pulled with such a force I fell onto my face. With a sore nose, I glared up at him.

"I'm curious about this boy, a mere Waterbender," Zhao pushes, almost as if he knew something. 

"Commander Zhao, the reason Sen isn't with the Avatar right now is that he is rather unwell. It would do well not to push him right now," Iroh cut in.

With a scoff, Zhao threw me onto my back at the side of the room. I was left panting in a heap while Zhao kept baiting Zuko.

"Capturing the Avatar is too important to leave in a teenager's hands. He's mine now," Zhao declared, "Keep them here."

As Zhao left, Zuko flew into a rage and kicked a table in half. Iroh simply requested more tea as Zuko worked on trying to calm down. I lay and rested on the floor as I was forgotten for the moment.

Much later, Zhao pushes the cloths aside that serve as tent doors and enters. He looks rather happy. 

"My search party is ready. Once I'm out to sea," he paused to look at Zuko and Iroh, "my guards will escort you back to your ship and you'll be free to go." 

Zuko flared up and growled, "Why? Are you worried I'm going to try and stop you?"

  Zhao laughs, "You? Stop me? Impossible." 

"Don't underestimate me, Zhao! I will capture the Avatar before you!" Zuko roars.

"Prince Zuko, that's enough," Iroh scolds, everyone is up on their feet now.

"Lord, you Fire People are loud," I quietly grumble. 

"You can't compete with me. I have hundreds of war ships under my command and you? You're just a banished prince. No home, no allies. Your own father doesn't even want you." Zhao taunts. 

"You're wrong! Once I deliver the Avatar to my father he will welcome me home with honour, and restore my rightful place on the throne!" Zuko yelled. 

It made a bit more sense now, the whole banished Prince thing... just not why he was banished.

"If your father really wanted you home, he would have let you return by now, Avatar or no Avatar. But in his eyes, you are a failure and a disgrace to the Fire Nation," Zhao took it too far this time.

Before Zuko could properly retaliate, I cut in, "Oi, is that what you're going to bring to this? Bit pathetic isn't it?" I sneer at Zhao.

"But he has the scar to prove it," Zhao keeps pushing.