Eleven: Grey Skies

𝐒𝐞𝐧 - 𝐁𝐨𝐨𝐤 𝐎𝐧𝐞 - 𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐄𝐥𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧

"So, what do you think they're talking about back there?" Aang asked after Katara and Aunt Wu left.

"Boring stuff I'm sure. Love, who she's going to marry, how many babies she's going to have," Sokka casually states.

"Yeah, dumb stuff like that..."Aang tenses a bit and bites his fingers nervously, "Well, I've got to find a bathroom."

As Aang runs off, Sokka and I rest in brief silence.

"You don't believe in this stuff, do you?" Sokka asked.

"No, not really. But, I do need advice on a matter, the unbiased opinion might be nice," I sigh, "You don't mind all the childish romance going around?" 

"What?!" Sokka said in an offended tone, "It's as you said though, childish romance."

Before I could get another word out, Aang ran back into the room grinning like an idiot. 

"Looks like someone had a pretty good bathroom break," Sokka commented.

"Yeah ... when I was in there ..." Aang started out causing the other two to freeze.

"I don't even want to know!" Sokka put his hands up with I pulled a face of horror. 

Then, Wu walks back out with Katara. 

"Who's next?" Wu asks.

"Let's get this over with," Sokka states as he raises his hand.

"Your future is full of struggle and anguish. Most of it, self-inflicted," Wu dryly states as I bust out in laughter. 

"But you didn't read my palms or anything!" Sokka protests.

"I don't need to. It's written all over your face," Wu turns to Aang, "You there, come with me."

I fall back onto the floor as I rest, Katara seems pleased with her reading and Sokka is still grumbling about Wu's response to him.

"Sen, why didn't you tell us you were hurt?" Katara suddenly asked, "You didn't even tell us that you cauterized your own wound..."

"I honestly thought it was healing until it wasn't. I don't think admitting to burning my own skin is something pleasant to hear in everyday conversation either," I muttered with a sigh.

"We could have helped," Katara started only to be cut off.

"How? I didn't have time for another option, let's leave it at that please," I ask with a defeated sigh, trying not to remember my time in the dark cell.

"Young man," Wu's voice startled me, "This way."

I pushed myself up and followed Wu into her reading room. The chamber is a fairly spacious, dimly lit room. Four pillars support the ceiling and four cushions are situated in the centre of the room, surrounding a small fire. Off to the side is a jug of bones.

"Please grab a bone," Wu explains, "This is the most reliable method of telling your fortune."

I look over the bones, hiding a grimace at the sight before picking one up and holding it in my palm. I ignore Wu's lingering gaze on my scarred hand that clutches at my side. Wu gestures me to sit on one of the seats opposite her and the fire. 

"Now throw it on the fire," Wu instructs as I get comfortable. 

With a cautious throw, we watch as the flames lick at the bone.

"The heat makes cracks in the bone and I read the bone cracks to tell you-" Wu cut off as the bone snapped cleanly in half. 

Suddenly, the flames from the fire burned a lighter colour and grew in size as they flickered around in me in small jets. Flickers of images raced through my head, between the now familiar halls of the Fire Lord's Palace to the sight of my friends enjoying their time with me.