two

walking out the front door to my car, i plopped my purse in the passengers seat, buckled up and started my drive to work. flipping though the stations, the same 3 songs seemed to play on every station. Thank U, Next, Eastside, and of course, Lost in Japan. deciding to just listen to the song and wait for it to end, i quietly hummed along with the chorus. i was proud of him, i was. i was just hurt.

"coming up after this song, we have your chance at winning front row shawn mendes tickets along with meet and greet passes. all you gotta do is be called number 20, answer a shawn mendes trivia question, and they're all yours! coming up after this song, here's Breathin' by Ariana Grande".

sighing to myself as i pulled in to work, i contemplated on trying to win these or not, just so i could reconnect with shawn after so long. i missed him, but i don't think he cares anymore. surely he didn't forget about me? his first love? after 3 minutes of contemplating, the song finally ended. "now's your time! caller 20." the radio host blared through my speakers. something in me told me to call, so that's exactly what i did. work wouldn't mind if i was a few minutes late, right?

i called 6 times, getting a busy signal. by the 7th, i was about to give it up. it wasn't meant to happen. we weren't meant to see each other ever again. i need to let him go, move on.

"hi! congratulations, caller 20!" i heard on the other side of the line.

"woah, oh wow, hi," i chuckled a bit. this was unexpected.

"how well do you think you know shawn mendes?" if only they knew how much i really did.

"i'd like to say pretty well." i laughed lightly.

"alright, when's his birthday?" the radio host asked, like he was going to trick me.

"easy, august 8th." i said, trying to hide the sadness in my voice. i thought back to the joint best friend birthday parties we had since mine was only 3 days after his. it's been 6 years since we had one of those.

"we have a winner! you and a friend are invited to see and meet shawn mendes! please stay on the line, i'll get your info in just a moment,"

i was happy, sad, nervous, and excited all at the same time. it's been years since i have seen him.

i do get to keep my promise of cheering him on at The Garden, though.

one week to prepare myself for reuniting with my best friend.