Chapter Forty

Roman's P.O.V

"I can tell you he's no longer in the mindscape. If he was I would be able to sense him," Dee says with his eyes closed. "He's scared and from the messages Carsen received he knows what's happening. I can't tell anything beyond that," he finishes and opens his eyes. 

"If he isn't here, where is he?" Hunter asks Dee but he shrugs. 

"Thomas you should call your guild mates. Devin may go after them," he says and everyone starts to leave the imagination. I stop Dee to talk to him. 

Once everyone is gone I ask, "Why are you helping us? What do you get out of all this?" What if all of this is a trap? 

"I'm doing this because of Virgil. I owe him for everything I've done. The only thing I want is the chance to show him, Hunter and especially Carsen that I can be who I was before," he tells me. I ask about his plan to take control of Thomas and what he is going to do about it. "I'm not going to go through with it, if that's what you're wondering," he says.

"What made you think of doing it in the first place?" I ask him because I don't think Anx really ever told me. 

"I did it to make Virgil happy," he tells me bluntly so I ask him to clarify. "He hated hiding in the shadows and being stuck in the dark commons. He didn't like that you light sides had control over everything while we were basically invisible," he explains. 

After he finishes explaining it, I ask why he stuck with it even after Virgil was clearly not on board. 

"I didn't want to let go and I had convinced myself that it was the only way to save him from himself," he tells me. I ask why I should believe him and he says, "Because despite what we've both done or said to him in the past, at the end of the day, we both still care about him in our own ways."

While making my way into the commons, I pull out my phone and look at my wallpaper. It's a picture I forced Virgil to take with me. We were in the imagination and I managed to make him fully smile by giving him a bunch of kisses all over his face. 

"That's a rare sight," Carsen says from looking over my shoulder. I only nod and put my phone in my pocket after locking it. 

"If we are all going into the real world, we need to use our own power to get there. Thomas may not be able to summon us all. Do you three know how to sink out?" Logan says. 

The three dark sides shake their heads no. Logan takes Dee while Patton takes Carsen and I take Hunter into the real world. As soon as we sink into the guild hall everyone stares at the three newcomers. All of the guild members are here. All except Virgil... 

"Alright, how do we find him?" Dominic asks after we finish telling everyone what's going on. Dee walks towards Thomas without saying a word and grabs the sides of his head. 

"Don't panic, he can be an impulsive moron but he should be able to find Virgil. Dee is really skilled with his telepathy and his abilities as the leader of the dark sides. He should be able to pick up on Virgil's energy by connecting through Thomas," Hunter explains.

Dee closes his eyes and moves one of his hands to touch Patton's before getting him to also put a hand on Thomas' head. Despite being confused at first Patton then closes his eyes before we see a projection of Virgil in a dark room. 

"Dee, I know you're there. Look who's been practicing with their abilities as leader of the dark sides," Devin says sarcastically in a distorted sing song voice. 

"Where are you Devin? What are you planning?" Dee asks in an angry tone. Devin laughs in response before saying that he's going to finish what he started. Dee, Thomas and Patton yell out in pain while holding their heads. 

"He blocked me out," Dee says as Carsen helps him sit down. Damn it! 

"He could be anywhere," guild master Camden says. 

"If he doesn't want to be found then we won't find him. That's not me being pessimistic, that's me stating the facts," Hunter says.

Virgil's P.O.V

"Thomas, wake up..." I say softly next to him, half hoping he didn't hear. 

"Virgil? What's going on? Where have you been?" he asks rubbing the sleep from his eyes and sitting up. 

"Please, don't be mad at me but I don't know..." I say softly before sitting down with him. 

He assures me he isn't but everyone is worried sick because I've been missing for three days. Three days? I hear the others appear behind me. Of course, I can't disappear like that and expect them not to worry. Patton is crying and looks to be fighting the urge to tackle me in a hug. I don't feel like talking to anyone anymore. I apologize to Thomas and sink back into the mindscape. 

Everyone, including Thomas, follows me. 

"Why are you following me?" I snap at them. 

Patton snaps back, "We are following you because you've been gone for three days! Now you are going to sit on that couch and tell me what the hell is going on. This is a family meeting! No one, including you three are leaving this room until we have talked through this, now sit down!" He must be really mad because I've never heard him use that word before. After a minute of no one moving, Patton shouts once again, "Now!" We all quickly gather around the commons and Patton asks me what happened.

"I don't know what happened or where I've been," I say not looking at anyone, "You're all telling me I've been gone for three days but I remember telling you guys to leave the mindscape and texting Car yesterday." I never should've come back here but I need Logan's help. 

I need to get Devin out of me and I'm pretty sure he's the only one who can help me. 

"Dad... I'm sorry but I don't have time for this. I'll find you later but for now I have to go," I say before using my stealth magic. 

I make my way to Logan and grab his arm, turning him invisible as well. I pull him with me towards his library, not making us visible until we get inside. 

I shut the door saying, "I only came back because we need to find a way to get him out of me! Fast, before he takes over again." 

He asks, "I know do you have any ideas on how though?" he asks. Not a clue. I shake my head.

Carsen's P.O.V

"We are following you because you've been gone for three days! Now you are going to sit on that couch and tell me what the hell is going on. This is a family meeting! No one, including you three are leaving this room until we have talked through this, now sit down!" Patton yells after Virgil snaps at us. Whoa... "Now!" Patton shouts once again when no one moves. 

 Everyone settles around the commons while Patton asks what happened. 

"I don't know what happened or where I've been," he tells us but doesn't look at anyone, "You're all telling me I've been gone for three days but I remember telling you guys to leave the mindscape and texting Car yesterday." 

What the hell has Devin been doing for the past three days then? 

"Dad... I'm sorry but I don't have time for this. I'll find you later but for now I have to go," Virgil says to Patton before disappearing. Almost right after, Logan disappears as well.

No one knows what else to do so everyone just starts to leave. All except Patton. 

I walk over to him and ask, "Are you alright Patton?" 

He turns his gaze from where Virgil was standing to look at me, "I'm alright kiddo. Just worried about him. How are you holding up?" I shrug and he offers me a hug which I gladly accept. 

"I'm scared Patton... The last time we went up against Devin we almost didn't make it. We only survived because of Virgil but now Devin has control of him," I say when I pull away. 

He squeezes my shoulder and tells me that it will all be alright in the end. Despite my worries, I believe him and give him a small smile. We say our goodbyes and I make my way back to my room.