6

Eli cherished the warm rays of sun hitting her face. The wind whispered as it glided through the trees. The smell of new flowers and incoming spring made Eli feel alive.

She stretched her shoulders, aware of the scars that covered them. She had barely survived her quest those few months back, and got reminded of the pain every time she saw the remnants of the struggle.

Her egg was safely stored in the cold dungeons, and she visited it every day. Ejder promised it would hatch after a month – but she needed to leave it alone and let the dragon grow.

Eli dropped to the ground and did some more push-ups, groaning with exhaustion. She had been working out in various ways since dawn and was already drenched in sweat. But she had to work seven times as hard as everyone else. She was noticeably more feminine than her brothers, and she had to bulge up to keep her secret safe. It was easier now that she was alone all the time, now that she and her friends had completely parted ways. She was lonely, yes, but it was better that way. It was safer. They were happier than they were with her. She understood that, but the realisation stung.

Eli snatched her wooden sword off the cold ground and did a few practice swings. Her hair kept getting into her face. She needed a haircut.

Without stopping for even a second, Eli executed a series of difficult moves, pretending she was fighting an elf. A very particular, purple-eyed elf.

Nobody had asked how her trip was. Nobody but Ejder knew what happened. Helios just asked her if she had recovered and hadn't spoken to her again. Not even during training. Teoh and Elan had begun hanging out with Blaed, who had failed at getting his egg and lost the little finger on his left hand in the process.

Eli was frustrated and miserable. She kept herself occupied with brutal training and reading deep into the night. Nobody dared approach her due to the reputation of being the bad, scary guy she had built while she still had friends. Eli regretted ever doubting Elan, ever sneaking out after him on that cursed night... but she couldn't take it back.

Rage burned inside her, and her blows became more forceful and disorganised.

"Control your anger, Eli. Even an untrained noble would be able to beat you with your feet positioned so poorly!"

Eli ceased her attacks and turned around to face Ejder. He never seemed to age, ever since Eli had joined the school. His dark skin was encased by scars, and his demeanour was as intimidating as ever. Yet, there was warmth in his eyes. Eli could barely contain a smile as she rolled her eyes at the man who she had thought of as her own father.

"As you say, old man," she teased, and Ejder pretended to be angry, but he was smiling.

"I have good news, Eli," he said, his voice serious, yet cheerful. Eli felt her heartbeat quicken as she perched her ears. Good news? She hadn't heard good news in a while. The last piece of good news had come from Tanya a month back, informing her about her job as a healer's apprentice that she did along with her magic school.

"What is it? Tanya coming to visit?" Eli questioned, and Ejder shook his head.

"Better. Eli, the war might end."

Happiness, surprise and disbelief all flooded Eli at once. While the war was rather passive, and there were many years of peace in-between the two hundred years of war, it was still unexpected.

"Really? How come?" she asked quickly. She felt happy – too many lives were lost in the war already.

"It's not over yet, Eli. As your final mission before you enrol in the army, I have pulled a few strings to get you into the official peace treaty group. You will be joining the king, the army commander and many other important people on their visit to the Notrhl capital to discuss terms of peace. It will be a great boost for your future, and-"