13.5

MY DUMB STUPID ASSS FORGOT TO UPLOAD A WHOLE DAMN CHAPTER. I AM SO SORRY. I'M UPLOADING THIS CHAPTER BETWEEN 13 and 14 AFTER I'D ALREADY PUBLISHED THE ENTIRE BOOK :) - the idiotic author

The light of the candle in Eli's hand shimmered in the heavy air of the dungeons. The air smelled of mould and blood.

Eli's footsteps echoed around the halls as she lead the way for Valda.

"Nobody saw us?" Eli whispered to the woman as they came to a halt before a thick iron door.

"Nobody saw us," Valda confirmed, taking a heavy key out of her pocket.

"Good. He woke up just before I came to get you. I gave him food and water, but he spilled the water and stomped on the bread," Eli said. Valda sighed as she pushed the key into the lock.

"It's okay. We'll make him talk. I still can't believe that you found a dwarf... This could change everything, Eli. We need to find out more. More about that queen he talked about. He must talk, no matter what."

Eli gulped down her fear. She felt uneasy, and sweat was covering her whole body. Eli had insisted on telling Tanya, but Valda refused. She had looked Eli dead in the eyes and asked her whether Tanya could handle torture. They would have to torture the dwarf to get answers.

There was nothing in Eli's training that would prepare her for inflicting pain on someone to get information. Ejder had used such means in the past, and he advised them not to resort to that. Eli wanted to just run away. Valda did give her that option.

"It's not too late for you to turn back, Eli. I can handle this on my own. But I would have to erase your memories," Valda said as the lock turned with a loud click. Eli quickly shook her head. She couldn't allow herself to be left out of something as big as this.

"No, I'll be here. I'm sure he'll talk without torture," Eli said, her voice devoid of the confidence that usually filled it. Valda had noticed the change, and sighed, placing her hand on Eli's shoulder and giving it a squeeze.

"You're young, Eli. The world is cruel – you've already experienced some of its cruelty. But you've experienced the cruelty of monsters. The cruelty was aimed towards you. This is a whole different kind of cruelty. Cruelty of you towards other beings. Are you sure you're ready? The things we find out could be life-changing. Are you ready to plunge into this? I won't erase your memories if you back out," Valda said. Eli thought for a second – did she actually want to get involved?

"I'm fine, Valda. I'm coming along. Whatever the problem is, I will tackle it," the girl promised. Valda smiled one of her wicked smiles.

"Good. You remind me of Ejder. You both have a knack of getting mixed up in dangerous things... Let's go now, and follow my lead in this. And warn me if anyone manages to find us." With those words, Valda pushed the door open. The candles illuminated the small cell and the figure of the dwarf sitting in the corner. He was hugging his knees to his chest and refused to look at the two women.

"Hello. My name is Valda, and I am a mage, one of the mages in the council of magic. I am here to ask you some questions. Your cooperation will be rewarded, but if you refuse to cooperate, you will be punished. Is that clear?" Valda spoke with such authority in her voice that it made Eli shrink. The dwarf turned his head towards Valda, hatred swimming in his eyes.

"I don't give a shite. Go die," he said. Eli saw Valda tense a bit.

"Where do you come from?" she asked. He didn't move or open his mouth. Valda turned towards Eli, her face set in cruel determination. "Eli, hang him by the feet on this hook." She pointed to a rusty metal hook that hung from the ceiling. Eli barely forced her body to move. She was on high alert as she took the rope from outside the cell and approached the dwarf. He made no move to attack her – she had previously taken all his possessions, which were just a dagger and some kind of pendant. He didn't resist as she tied him up and swung him over her shoulder. He was small, but he was heavy, and Eli barely reached the hook.