Chapter 17

~'Cause once you go without it

Nothing else will do~

When Harry was in the UK for his short little break, he got his license there. So he was now officially a driver in two countries. He was pretty excited about that.

In the months leading up to November, Harry continued street racing. There was no doubting the fact that he was addicted. He got his job back at the bakery and was now a volunteer at the hospital. It was still the daily routine for him. Not much excitement.

He was very much in debt from his travels and some of Gemma's hospital bills. Most of it was covered, but there was some stuff that wasn't. Harry didn't want to burden their mother or Gemma herself with that, so he was the one in charge of everything regarding her condition.

Harry was lost in his head, thinking about the worsening condition of his sister as he walked out of the hospital. So much so that he almost fell over when a car pulled in front of him, shocking him and stopping him from moving forward.

"If you wouldn't mind getting in?" The passenger seat voice said. Harry didn't recognize the average person sitting there, and he slowly went back inside. Standing by the doors, he watched as the driver and passenger seat man argued.

A moment later, Harry got a call and he answered it, feeling shaken up. "Hello?"

"This is Harry Styles, correct?"

"It is," Harry swallowed, ready to have someone call the police for him. None of this was normal for him and he didn't like it one bit.

"My name is Simon Cowell," Simon paused for a moment. "I have taken interest in your driving skills and would like to sample them in person, if you are interested in getting in that car."

"How did you get my number?" Harry stood his ground.

"Nothing's impossible when you're a businessman," Simon said, which angered Harry more.

"There's money."

Money is the motivator of many, they say.

---

"You're Simon?" Harry asked, looking at the older man in the suit with caution.

"Yes," Simon had no time for introductions. "The car is there. Let's go."

Harry got into the driver's seat, feeling intense trepidation. "I'm not dumb. This is some sort of getaway driver job, isn't it?" Simon just nodded, and Harry swallowed. He was trying to skim through his morals to see if he should or shouldn't rob the bank.

"I've put many teams through on jobs like the one that you'll be doing, if you agree. My plans have never failed. Never." Simon looked out the window, towards the road ahead. He had more than enough leg room about him, but didn't seem to notice it. "Just drive, Harry. If you don't mind."

"Where? Drive where?"

Simon finally got back to the matter at hand. "Times square. Fast as you can."

"What if the police come?"

"Oh, kid. We want them to show up."

Harry noticed Simon set a timer, and then he was off. He wanted to show this random man that he could do this. He was flattered, after all, to be considered for such a position. It meant that he certainly was a very good driver.

They were in the middle of nowhere, New York. So it should've taken Harry forever to get to the center of the city. But he had been driving, street racing, especially, for a while. So he knew which ways to take and such.

It took him 20 minutes. Even with all of the traffic.

"You're hired," Simon joked.

"How much money?"

"We can discuss logistics later. Just know that in two days, there's a team meeting. Be there."

"Okay," Harry was convinced easily.

"And after, if you're still curious about how much money there will be, meet me in the hallway afterwards. Got it?"

"Got it."

He never did do that.