Chapter Thirty Five

It's Christmas. Christmas has come sooner than expected and quite frankly, Niall wasn't ready for it. Mainly due to the fact that he was spending it with his husband, who happened to be a vampire and to top it all off, he was pregnant (and getting bigger too, which meant his family were sure to notice) but other than that, everything was good. The only good thing that had came from all this was that Bressie was another no show. It had never bothered Niall about keeping his secret of Harry being a vampire from his family, for many obvious reasons but it bothered him now more than ever since Bressie became a threat to him. Not that Niall had expected him to show up any time soon, especially after his last voice mail to him. Niall found himself lost in thought one morning, after just coming out of the shower. He found himself staring at the long, wall-length mirror. His hair is wet, droplets of water on his body while a pair of sweats sat loosely around his hips. His top half was bear and he couldn't help but stare at the large bump now beginning to show. He's staring quietly at himself when he hears the floor boards behind him creek and he gasps, turns around only to see Harry hovering at the door way, gazing at him in an almost love-struck way. But he held a white square box in hand, wrapped in a white laced ribbon and he approached Niall with a wistful smile, one hand held behind his back.

"It's an early Christmas present." Harry explains, reading Niall's puzzled expression.

"H, you shouldn't have." Niall clicks his tongue but Harry only waves his hand dismissively after handing the box to him.

"I saw it in a window the other day and thought of you." Harry says, when Niall begins to open it.

Inside the box, were two small, tiny pairs of ballet slippers. The tiniest shoes Niall had ever seen and all of a sudden, his heart leapt into his mouth and there's a giant lump beginning to form in his throat. Niall knew that Harry was never okay with the situation they were in, even if he had accepted the fact that Niall is pregnant but even so – this was something that Niall had never expected from him.

"H..." Niall croaks, lost of words.

"I know I said I thought it was boy but since you wanted a girl -"

Harry's interrupted by Niall's lips slamming against his and his words are muffled, followed by quiet giggles against Niall's mouth as Harry's hands slip around Niall's waist. A moment later, there's a knock on the door, followed by an abrupt groan and Louis is standing in the doorway, looking playfully disgusted by the display of affection.

"God, does the honeymoon phase ever end for you two?" He asks exasperatingly.

"No." Harry and Niall answer in unison, earning a chuckle from Louis.

"You have guests arriving." Louis sighs, before turning on his heel and leaving without another word.

Niall smiles at Harry, setting the pretty box of ballet slippers on the edge of the bed. He takes Harry's hand, entwining his fingers in his own and Harry leads them down the stairs to greet their families. Niall's heart is in his mouth as he walks down the stairs with Harry, he's full of nerves but soon he becomes delighted to see all those familiar, friendly faces waiting for them in the living room. Greg, Denise, Theo, Maura, Anne and Gemma. No Bressie. As much as Harry assured him that Bressie wouldn't turn up, there was still a tiny feeling of both doubt and fear in the pit of Niall's stomach that he would show up, despite Niall saying he couldn't come.

It's with that that Niall could actually enjoy his Christmas dinner, spending time with his family and catching up with everyone. Tess had went home on Christmas Eve to be with her parents but of course, Louis had stayed. There even managed to be no awkward tension between him and Gemma and Harry didn't hear Gemma bring up the whole vampire thing once. It wasn't until Niall was in the kitchen, cleaning some of the dishes when he started to feel a little regret. Greg approached him when he was alone, away from everyone else in the living room (they were playing family fortunes) and he had brought up the elephant in the room.