Chapter 6 : Learning Some New Moves

Chapter 6

My eyes were gaunt and swollen the next morning, and the several morning to pass after. Alpha Leon had visited numerous times along with my parents taken to meetings in the pack house.

I hadn't left our house. I hadn't even gone to training for days. No one noticed-

Knock Knock I thought.

Dragging my body from my bed felt heavy. I felt like I weighed as much as the thoughts that were running through my head which was plenty.

''Evan.'' I froze with my hand on the handle. It was Luna

''Yes, Alpha?'' I still didn't move.

''Please open the door.'' The door was not locked and she had every right to enter wherever she please but she was kind and considerate of every wolf in the pack.

I opened the door, her soft smile not doing anything to relax me as she made her way to my bed and smiled warmly, patting the space beside her for me to sit.

''I guess you know.'' Her smile faltered as she glanced at me cautiously.

I nodded my answer, my voice hoarse and broken from days without use, the action causing a scratchy feeling in the back of my throat whenever I tried.

''It must be hard to accept.'' She sighed and stared out my window. ''I can't do much to comfort you but to promise you will always have a place here amongst us, even after-''

''You found your fated mate. I just want to find mine.'' My voice was breaking and I couldn't tell if it was only the lack of use or if it was my emotions breaking with it.

''I went through Hell for mine. I lost so much to come here, I gave up everything and my most precious...'' She wiped at tears and furrowed her brows in anger. The anger wasn't placed at me but at her memory she was getting lost in. ''Death was the price of my mate. A loss I bear every day that goes by I can't go more than a day without thinking of what I couldn't save because I was the one who was saved. I will never forgive myself for trading my happiness for the loss of his.''

I didn't pry into her memories. They seemed painful but I couldn't relate to something I didn't understand.

''For low ranking wolves like us, we are lucky to find our fated mate in a million years Ev.'' Her small hand rested on my back and rubbed a large circle into my shoulder blade. ''I would have never chosen this for you but sometimes an Alpha must make a hard choice for his pack and an even harder choice for a friend.''

Her forehead pressed against mine as we both screwed our eyes shut tight, our emotions being fought back by the tiny layer of skin curtaining our eyes. It hurt her to lose me as much as it hurt me to lose her and Tommy.

''It's time for training Ev.'' Our silence was broken, my body feeling a little lighter than before as she led me down the stairs with a loving smile and towards the fields where other wolves were clashing in battle already.

''Glad you could finally join us, Evan.'' The war wolf leading today's training didn't even see me come in as he pointed toward the only wolf without a partner; the pack Beta.

I was dead.

I looked Jaycen up and down and decided what would be on my tombstone already. 'Here lies stupid.'

Jaycen was Beta for a reason. He excelled in strength and endurance. He was a strong mass of muscle but he could move swiftly through a forest matching pace with our fastest scouts.