t w o

present time

"Fuck," Grayson sighed, rubbing his hand across his face, "Um- I'm putting you on speaker phone."

James looked up at Grayson, a small frown evident on his face.

"Now, there's no easy way to say this-"

James cut her off, "It's cancer, isn't it."

There was an uncomfortable silence, "Yes."

At that moment, James felt his heart sink to the bottom of his chest and his face went pale.

11 years earlier

"Don't fucking talk to me right now," Grayson shouted at James.

"I know Cameron's death has been hard on you. Hard on all of us. I don't expect you to get over it only three months after it happened, but I don't like it when you yell at me! Especially if I just ask you a simple question!" James stopped, and grabbed his coat, "I'm leaving."

"Where to?"

"I don't know," James said, walking out.

It was a good thing Charlotte and Chris were at Ethan's house because James definitely didn't want them around right now. It wasn't because he didn't love them, it was because this whole thing with Grayson was way too complicated.

James walked outside, sitting on the porch of their house. He watched the rain fall, small droplets of water trickling off the roof. He leaned his body against the wood railing of the stairs, and let out an exhausted sigh.

He felt tears prick his eyes again, but did nothing to stop them from falling.

He heard the door open, and quickly wiped the tears away, "Go away."

Instead of listening to James, Grayson walked over to James. He sat down next to him, and wrapped his arm around.

"I'm sorry. I know I'm a dick," Grayson said.

"You can say that again," James mumbled, leaning against Grayson.

"I'm sorry. I know I'm a dick," Grayson mumbled, pressing a kiss to the top of James' head.

"I forgive you, Gray," James whispered, leaning up and kissing him.