57

"You don't want to do that, Grace," Albert said. "After all, if you kill me, you may never know what your lover was hiding from you."

Grace, clamouring to her feet, furrowed her brow.

"What are you talking about?"

"When I first took poor Scott from your home," he said, glancing at my unconscious brother. "Did you never wonder why Richard reacted without surprise?"

Grace scoffed.

"Oh, he was plenty surprised. He was a mess."

I fumbled with the rope, tried and failed to loosen the knot. I glanced upwards.

"Yes, but I was supposed to be dead, remember? Your tormentor, your stalker... dead and gone, and yet, beyond the shock of losing a brother, Richard did not question my existence. He knew I was alive." Albert took a step towards us with a lethal smirk. "He knew that your little ex-lover was not guilty of more than tedious teenage lust and eventual suicide. He knew my name, my sins. He knew that I was still alive and yet, he did not tell you."

Grace shifted her weight.

"Is it true, Richie?"

"Of course it's true!" Albert exclaimed. "You already know it to be true. Why else question him about that little brown file on your kitchen table? Why else would he be so eager to have me killed right now, before you hear what he has done?"

I grabbed her arm, gripped it tight.

"Grace, I will tell you everything. I swear. Just kill him. Kill him now!"

"Say what you want about me, Miss Upton," Albert said, taking another step closer. "But I have never lied to you."

Grace lifted her chin, pressed the barrel into his chest. I swore when the ropes wouldn't untangle.

"I will kill you," she breathed.

"Then you shall never know the truth."

There was a single heartbeat – a single moment – in which we were all bound. Grace, with her barrel against Albert's chest. Me, useless, tied to a kitchen chair. My brother, bleeding and dying on the floor. It was the last moment where I ever felt hope.

Then Albert dodged right, pushing Grace's weapon left. It fired, shattered the glass doors behind him. He snapped her wrist in his giant hands, the gun tumbling from her grasp and into his. She lurched forward to grab it when he flung her around, pressing his chest to her back and the barrel to her temple. I screamed, the tears blurring my vision.

"Not a sound," Albert said, digging the barrel in deeper.

Grace struggled against his grip, his arm wrapped around her neck in a chokehold. He pulled her backwards towards the balcony window, glanced over the railing. The sweet, sweet sound of sirens wailed on the horizon – Godric and Phillip.

"Well, that is disappointing," he sighed. "It seems you've broken my rules once again."

I gulped, felt my throat close over.

"Nick – Albert, don't. Please. Take me. Take me instead!"

"I don't want you!" He roared. "When are you going to learn that?"

I lowered my head, tears streaming down my face. Then my anger boiled – my rage, my frustration. I leapt forward, ropes stabbing into my joints.

"I will fucking kill you!"

Albert smiled.

"Perhaps, in some far away dream." He looked down at Grace, struggling against him. "But today I'm going to kill her. Any last words, Miss Upton?"

Grace, eyes shining, beaming, wholly alive, sucked in a shaky breath.

"I love – "

BANG.

Albert pulled the trigger, and the love of my life was dead.

© A.G. Travers 2018