The Auction

It was a warm and sunny fall afternoon as Kate Johnson got out of her truck and closes the door. Her boyfriend of two years, Wyatt Stewart, pulls the keys out of the ignition and shut his door.

"One horse," he said looking at her as they walked towards the auction doors.

This was not the auction Kate had hoped to go to. She had wanted to go to the Saratoga or Keenland fall yearling sales to look for a well spirited, good pedigree yearling. Instead she was at a small horse auction in southern Minnesota. Instead of a yearling on her mind, she was here to look for a mare to start off her stud and racing farm.

They had planned on coming here a couple of hours earlier to go to the stalls and look at the horses that were up for sale but they got stuck in traffic and couldn't get there early enough.

Kate and Wyatt went through the front doors and found a good seat right in the middle of the stands. On their seats was a small book that was had all of the horses that were up for sale in it.

They sat down and Kate picked up the booklet and started to go through it. She circled the thoroughbred mares that stood out to her. Only three stood out to her. She only had $5,000 to spend. The bidding started and went on for two hours before they got to the thoroughbred mares. The first two came in and went to high for the to get them.

The third mare came in and her name was Love's a Peak. Kate felt something special about her. She was a medium sized mare with a dark bay coat. She had a blaze on her face and three white socks. She had Secretariat, Seattle Slew, and Affirmed in her bloodline with a couple of other major horses.

The bidding started at $2,000 and Kate was worried she was going to go over her budget. She kept biding and the biding stopped at $4,600 with her bid. The hammer fell and Love's a Peak was know hers.

Kate stood up and Wyatt grabbed her arm.

"Are you sure about her?" he asked looking up at her.

"Yes," she said and walked down to the stable area to pay and look at her new mare.

She paid her $4,600 and walked to Love's a Peak's stall. She went to the stall door and looked at her new mare. Love walked over to Kate and put her head into her chest.

"Hello my beautiful," Kate said to Love as Wyatt came up behind her and put a hand on her back.