Chapter 2

It was late by the time Kate and Wyatt got home from the action. They lived on a ranch in Kentucky called Sweet Water Ranch.

Wyatt pulled the truck up the the mare barn and turned off the truck. Kate got out and went to the trailer opening the door. She walked in and went to Love's head and untied her. Kate backed her out and walked her into the barn.

Wyatt was standing by a stall and opened the door when Kate brought the mare over to him. She walked her inside and took her bridle off. Love went to the hay that was in the corner and started to eat.

"You picked a nice one Kate," Wyatt said with a smile.

"Yah, I hope she can produce use a winner to start off the ranch," she said petting the mares big back. She walked out of the stall, shutting the door, and over by Wyatt. Both of them walked out of the barn and towards the house.

As they entered the house Wyatt went to the kitchen to find something to eat and Kate went to the office straight to the stud book. She sat down and started looking through the book, looking for a good stud the breed Love to. Wyatt walked in with a sandwich in his hand.

"Go with Dante's Inferno," he said taking a bit.

Kate looked up at him with a look that said explain why.

"He won the Derby, won the Preakness, and he almost won the Belmont but he got bet by a nose. The Belmont was his only loose. The horse has both great speed and stamina. He was also two time horse of the year," he said sitting down beside Kate.

"Okay, what's the fee?" She asked looking at him.

"$100,000" he said looking away from her.

Kate nodded and picked up the phone. She dialed Ashford Stud's number and asked to breed Love's a Peak to Dante's Inferno. The man said yes.

The next day Kate and Wyatt loaded up Love and drove to Ashford Stud to breed her to one of America's best studs. They got there that afternoon and pulled into the drive close to the breeding shed.

One of the workers came over and got Love out and walked her to the breeding shed. Wyatt and Kate got out and went to the office to pay the fee. After paying the fee they walked out and stood by their truck and waited for love to come back out. After 10 minutes the worker brought her out and loaded her into the trailer. He told them in a couple of days have a vet check her and see if she conceived, if she didn't bring her back and they would try again.

Kate and Wyatt got into their truck and drove home. Wyatt pulled the truck into the yard and parked it. Kate got out and walked to the trailer and got Love out and put her in a stall. She closed the door and stood there watching her mare eat hay. Only time would tell if she would have a colt to start her ranch.