The Phantom's Lair

Ambient light glowed through black tulle curtains

Ambient light glowed through black tulle curtains. Warm red velvet and cream fur blankets expanded over the boat-shaped bed in an inviting cocoon of rest. There was a mixture of smells that permeated through the cold atmosphere; a hint of vanilla and rose, contrasted by the strong scent of moisture. Soft organ music echoed mysteriously from a few feet away.

Christine sat up and rubbed her eyes sleepily. Her feet then experienced a frightful chill as they ventured away from the bed, onto the damp stone floor. She shivered and then spotted a pair of red slippers she had never seen before to the right of her feet. She pulled them on and appreciated the soft rabbit fur coating the inside. The top of the shoes were decorated in gemstones that sparkled under the glow from what seemed to be a hundred wax candles ahead of her. Some candles were displayed by candelabras and others placed periodically on strange relic furniture surrounding the cave-like dome.

Walking away from the bed Christine was flabbergasted as she soaked in the beauty of another world before her. Past the shore of stone that the bed and all the furniture dwelled on, a lake spread out like a dream; its waters green and foggy. Above, thousands of icicle-like stalactites hung from the cavern ceiling.

Christine looked to her left from which the music came, and saw that there was another half to the cave that was separated by a segment of limestone, that was slanted at a 65-degree angle. In order to reach the other side, Christine had to hold on to the rock and carefully move her feet over the divide without her hands slipping and her falling back into the murky water. Once she successfully reached the other side, she realized who's domain she was in.

Orbs of light bounced off of the Phantoms gelled charcoal hair. His head was lowered, focusing on notes sprawled out on the finest parchment. He wore a white long-sleeved v-neck shirt, with ruffles on the collar and more at the wrist below his embellished cufflinks. His chest was exposed, revealing his chiseled pecs covered by a dark coat of chest hair. His trousers were black satin and extended up to his waist.

Christine had never seen her guardian so informally dressed before. It made the facade of dominance and power he created for himself vanish and transform into the appearance of an angel who longed to be human.

Christine kept her distance and listened. The Phantom played an enchanting melody that caused Christine's eyes to close in wonder. When she re-opened them, she found him looking at her and the cacophony of music abruptly over.

She walked slowly to him in her white, lace-embroidered, dressing gown. It had a significant sheer train which grazed over the stone behind her as she walked. His china blue eyes swept over her taking in her every movement. His lips opened slightly allowing him to exhale his unobscured nerves. She was lovely, in every way possible, and he was nothing in her presence but a secretly shaken man.