Metamorphosis

Jan

Jan. 3, 1876

In the familiar red upholstered chair, Christine sat anxiously. Her fingernails drummed against the side of the seat bellow the cushion. The only company was the terribly loud ticking of the clock on the right wall in the silence. The empty desk and chair in front of her sent her mind spiraling in irritating circles. Her fiance would be joining her in no time, but she couldn't convice herself that she was anywhere near prepared to face him. Just as she felt panic rearing its ugly head she was startled by a footman who announced the arrival of the viscount. Christine rose too quickly, but straightened her gown to calm her self moments before her future husband appeared in the doorway.

"Madame Daa'e, " he greeted, bowing politely.

"Monsuier De'Chagny," she greeted back, curtsying.

The footman stood in the doorway staring blankly, awaiting his next order. He stepped backwards closing the office doors when offered a nod of dismissal from Raoul.

"Please, sit." She did as asked. He took position behind the large desk, and removed his jacket. He sensed her watching him and inquired, "I hope you don't mind, I hate to appear so formal when in the presence of a friend."

"Of course," she nodded, relaxing some.

"So, my dear, Christine. It has burdened my conscience in the two months of how to make your stay here, in my family home before our wedding day, to your abosolute liking. Of course when you become countess you can make as many changes to our home as you please, to suit your taste and personal preference. But what most concerns me at this hour is your comfortability here." Raoul's face was shrouded in concern and his sudden stiff posture indicated his next words would be uncomfortable.

" I understand that our relationship has not had the fair amount of nourishment that a proper courtship would suffice, though my new objective is to replenish what has  previously been avoided." He paused slightly to take note of her expression. She seemed just as tense as he.

He continued determinedly, " I wish in the simplest terms to understand you, the mature woman I've yet to meet. In my mind you're still Little Lotte whom feasted on chocolates with me in the attic and frolicked around as your father rehearsed his most charming pieces. I realize both of us have lived long past those days of childish bliss and, to be frank, we are two strangers who know nothing of one another."

He stretched out his hand then laying open his palm for her hand. She was hesitant as always to take his hand but recieved him out of curtsy and a small desire within to do so. Christine's mind paced and questioned as he continued, "Christine, I wish, if you'd allow it, that is, that we could make courtship a priority in these coming months. That we allow one another time to enjoy ourselves in our companionship through meals, outings, and adventurous merriment."

She began processing his highly thought-out proposal. His hand was gentle and warm against her own, she couldn't deny its comforting effects. As the silence became defening she was pressed to make a choice, distracted and unable to do anything than simply oblige him, she said, "Yes." To her own surprise, this quick decision was one she didn't feel she would regret. A smile formed across her face which she had no control over, "I would like that very much, Indeed," she added.

"Excellent!" He chimmed, rising from his seat. "We shall enjoy some tea with Madame Josephine and Phillipe in the garden at once!" Christine followed him out of the office as a sensation of ease washed over her paired with a strange shuffling in her heart.

 "We shall enjoy some tea with Madame Josephine and Phillipe in the garden at once!" Christine followed him out of the office as a sensation of ease washed over her paired with a strange shuffling in her heart