Chapter 12

Christmas morning was calm and peaceful. As far as California weather went it was breezy and sunny and comfortable in the low 70s, that was December in California.

Between 8:30 and 9 AM Noel and his aunt arrived afterwards we all enjoyed breakfast together and things seemed almost normal-almost.

While Christmas music played softly in the background we opened presents in the living room, each one in small boxes and bags. It was like a Charlie Brown Christmas but this year no one really cared. It was enough to be together.

I had splurged and bought a book I knew Noel wanted. It was about the size and weight of a doorstop and probably could break someone's foot.

He grinned when he finally opened it (a rare real smile from him) and I saw glimpses of my best friend beneath where our traumatic experience had scarred.

"Thanks Kara!"

"Now you can bend my ear with more stuff I don't understand." I replied wryly.

Noel chuckled as he set the book aside.

"It's a wonder our cards were reinstated before Christmas." Sandra murmured. "I hate to sound entitled but it's so much easier on plastic."

My mother nodded.

"All that matters is that we are safe and with our loved ones, but each thing is a blessing." My mother replied.

My mother had gotten me the sweater I had wanted and Noel had gotten me something very special. It was in a small brightly colored bag which had gotten lost behind the tree.

In the bag was a framed photo it had been the last photo taken with Noel's parents, my dad and grandma. The picture had been taken on my dad's phone, since a this point all of the missing devices from abducted people had been recovered by the authorities.

"Your mom gave that to me a few weeks ago and I had copies made for both of us." Noel explained. "That way we can always remember them."

I got up from my place on the floor and ran over and hugged him.

"Oh, Noel, thank you! It means so much."

"You're welcome." Noel murmured, "Merry Christmas."

Christmas passed without incident, though it was good to spend time with friends and family and as New Year's drew near the town prepared for the memorial service in the park. Likewise many other cities around the country were having similar vigils for the ones lost in the camps. It was not for the first time I was grateful Noel was still standing next to me.

The service was on a mild evening and as people arrived the local church was passing out candles. Some people and even brought paper lanterns, which they had decorated with the names of their loved ones.

On a makeshift pulpit, the pastor I had heard speak the week before said a few words and a few choice Scripture in memory of those lost. Again, it was a comfort.

Eventually, the crowd broke up into its own groups as family and friends connected. Memories were shared along with some laughter which drifted to me on the faint breeze. Then solemnly, in groups the candles were lit and the lanterns released in the sky, it was a glorious sight.

My mother and I lit candles for my father and grandma and Noel and his aunt lit candles for his parents. I lit candles for the Eckharts as well, I had known them most of my life, and would miss them as much as Noel. I would miss his dad's laughter and his mother's gentle concern, asking how I was doing showing as much interest as my own family would.

Noel was recovering slowly from his head injury though he still had a few bandages patched around his forehead. Tonight, however, they were barely visible under his stocking cap; for a few moments we could forget about scars, the physical ones anyway.

Noel turned to me.

"Kara... thanks." He said, "Thanks for everything."

I smiled back at him.

"Any time." I murmured."

We watched the sky until the last of the lanterns had disappeared and parents were packing up their children for bed. Afterwards, when the candles had been extinguished and discarded in a separate box Noel, his aunt and my mom and I returned to our cars.

"So what's next?" I asked as Noel and I said goodbye.

"New year? More counseling." Noel replied.

I chuckled dryly.

"It's not so bad." I murmured. I start with the outpatient counselor after the holidays."

Noel nodded.

"Me too. Having to relive everything..." He sighed.

"We'll get there." I assured him. "I can't say it will go away, but we'll learn to deal with the pain. We have to."

We embraced again and for a long moment we were silent until I heard my mom calling my name.

"Kara, it's time to go."

"Guess I better go." I muttered, pulling away.

"Yeah..." Noel exhaled, "me too. See you."

Then we parted, though I knew I would see him soon in the new year, a year full of new beginnings and for the first time in a long time, hope.