The Chosen Death

I remember the day like it was yesterday.

Eitan had just learned how to ride a horse. He looked so majestic on the giant, elegant beast. He was so brave even though he was so far from the ground. I think the horse could feel Eitan's power for it obeyed his every command with just a tug here or there. It respected his authority, as everyone does.

After Eitan learned how to ride, he offered to take me beyond our property, into the thick mysteries of the woods. He was taller than me, even then. He knew that as long as I was in front, I would be safe and he would always protect me. Even though we're twins, he may as well be my older brother with how he was always protecting me from my fears.

I remember that during one of our rides he had hopped off the horse and offered me a bottle with a clear liquid inside.

"Here," he'd said. "This bottle contains all my courage. As long as this bottle is safe, you will be too." At the time, I believed him. Though I know now it's only water, I still keep it close to help give me a little more courage like he did that day.

Atop that tall horse, he helped show me that the forest is actually beautiful with the sun filtering through the leaves, the extensive plant life, and the lively animals. That day, the forest became my favorite place to go with my brother.

But that day wasn't yesterday. Yesterday was the day that broke my heart.

The Selection occurs on the same day every year. We all know it's coming and we dread the day. No one really knows the method the King uses to pick The Chosen One. There are some that say he pulls up the census and randomly chooses a name. There are others that say it comes to him in a dream from Trothar directly. And still, others say the King chooses those that are deserving of death either from breaking laws, not contributing to society, or because the King just wants to be rid of them.

None of those reasons justify why my brother was The Chosen One.

The chosen one to die.

The kingdom spared no expense in the farewell festivities. Even with the bold colors, the jovial music, and the decadent dishes, Eitan was the brightest thing in the room. With the number of guests in attendance and Eitan's boisterous laughter, it seemed more like the celebration that was held when he was called as Leader of The Guard than a farewell. The only sign of the bad news given earlier that day was when some of his fellow guardsmen dropped their manly guise as they embraced my brother with tears of sorrow.

In truth, it really was a celebration. The Chosen One would protect our kingdom for another year. These festivities were hosted as an opportunity to give melancholy thanks. Perhaps that's why my brother never cried. Perhaps he felt honor and duty in protecting the people as he had always done as the Leader of The Guard. He knew that with his sacrifice, our kingdom would survive another year, free from the carnage Trothar can bring.

~ ~ ~

I pull my coat closer into my chest as the mountain's cruel winds try to break through the cloth. The four of us have been walking up the mountain since daybreak.

I'm not sure why I was surprised that Eitan approached me yesterday and asked me to be part of his crew to journey up the mountain. I'm his only living relative so it makes sense, but there are so many others that have had a bigger impact on his life than I have.

Despite the impending doom, Eitan has been keeping pleasant conversations with those of his crew. As the only woman, I wasn't assigned to actually carry or push anything; Eitan said that he wanted me there as moral support and didn't want to burden me. He had even suggested that I ride in the wagon with the supplies, but I assured him I could walk at least.