chapter one.

★☆

CHAPTER ONE; THE BLACKSMITH AND THE KNIGHT

The general understanding Aurelia Marigot had of respect was that it should go both ways. A mutual connection between two or more people, it solidified and upheld the values necessary for peace and prosperity. Purposeful, chivalrous and advantageous in the grand scheme of things, it was unfortunate that it wasn't very common in King's Landing.

"Lady Aurelia!" Ser Hogarth shouted irritably as he chased the sprightly girl through the weaving paths of the city, his hand readily on his sword in case she got into any more trouble. She was far too clever for that, though it was a precaution that had to be taken.

Rey laughed as she dodged a number of citizens, none recognising her. Why should they? She was dressed like one of them, acted like one of them, and besides, they only saw her during special events such as tournaments and trials.

"Aurelia!" the voice of her guard was distant now as she ducked into the steel marketplace, her eyes trying to spot the familiar blacksmith shop. She pushed her way through customers and merchants, her small figure easily finding small gaps to step into. She knew exactly where she needed to be, so it was handy knowing the streets as well as she did.

Her dress trailed behind her as she wove through the roads of Fleabottom, and she cursed her handmaidens for having made her wear an itchy dress rather than the loose trousers and shirt she often wore when exploring.

It wasn't as if she hated her heritage, or her status, she just didn't like the attitudes associated. She didn't like being seen as 'better' or 'worthier' than others just because of her family's money. She didn't like living in the Red Keep while her father did business with the King and the Small Council. She'd rather be roaming her home of Dewacreage with her brothers and sisters, interacting with the locals and enjoying the little time she had left before she was married off into another family.

She had come to terms with the fact that she would be given away in a few years time to a man from some proud family. Her father had mentioned Robb Stark of the North in passing, though thankfully, that was shut down quite quickly seeing as they were already at peace with the people of the Hand of the King, Ned Stark. Besides, they didn't want Rey to marry into such an important house. It was an odd way of thinking, but House Marigot tried their best to stay out of the way for the sake of survival. While the country knew of their status and prosperity, there was nothing of knowledge as to how they worked or what they had done to hurt others.

"Hello, Gendry!" Rey called out once she reached the shop of the most respected blacksmiths in King's Landing. There was only one person in the shop, that being one of her best friends.

"Lady Aurelia of House Marigot," the teasing voice of Gendry Waters immediately welcomed Rey. The girl smiled as she stepped inside, feeling at ease once more. She adored the black-haired boy, he was the only person who genuinely didn't care about her state and her money, only the person underneath all of the privilege. Nonetheless, he did still enjoy taking the piss every now and then. "How can I be of assistance this fine afternoon?"