chapter five.

★☆  

CHAPTER FIVE; THE ROAD TO HIGHGARDEN

"Your legs are looking a lot better, M'lady," Elise hummed as she inspected the chaffing wounds on Rey's thighs. Having ridden for days in a nightgown wasn't pleasant, particularly in the summer heat. The leather of the saddle had rubbed against her skin enough to make her bleed, which meant she wasn't comfortable in any sense on the journey to what she now knew was Highgarden. "They seem to have healed a lot quicker with the ointment and bandages each morning and night."

"How much farther to Highgarden?" Rey asked softly, grimacing a little as she moved further back onto her bed. Renly and his supporters had stopped for a few days at an inn a while away from the Reach. They had already been travelling for two weeks, which was quite good time considering who could be after them. 

"About five more days, M'lady," Elise assured her, smiling hopefully. It turned out that she was also in on the ploy to rescue Rey, as she had met them that night on her own horse alongside a few other maids. "That's what I've been told Lord Renly says."

"I thought we were supposed to call him King Renly now," Rey tilted her head a little, her eyebrows furrowed. She had been called in to speak with him numerous times, and she couldn't deny her gratitude. He had continued to be ever so kind, always making sure she was comfortable and not too upset. 

"Yes, I suppose," Elise nodded, standing up from where she was kneeling and stepping to Rey's bedside table, where the freshly made ointment sat. It wasn't approved by Maesters, but there were many men in Renly's armada that knew a thing or two about surviving through hardships. They were all quite kind themselves, which was a nice change from the scum that wandered King's Landing and the Red Keep. "It might just take some getting used to."

"Any news from my father?" Rey continued, and Elise pursed her lips. The auburn girl sighed softly and stared down at her feet, her heart sinking. "Renly said they haven't received any ravens since the news of Ned Stark's death. I don't know if Arya and Sansa are alive and safe, or if they're being tortured by Joffrey."

"Another king," Elise responded, to which Rey chuckled and rolled her eyes.

"He'll never be my king," she announced proudly, to which Elise grinned. Rey then silenced and looked around the small room. She was lucky to get anything, she knew how low on supplies the group were. She couldn't wait to get to Highgarden, she knew it would be safe travels from then on. "Renly is going to propose an alliance with House Tyrell. He's going to marry Margaery and make her his queen."

"So I've heard," Elise hummed in agreement. "I also heard she's very beautiful. Ser Loras is quite lovely too."

Ser Loras Tyrell had been travelling alongside the new Baratheon king, and Rey had to admit, he was quite good-looking. He had shoulder length blond hair that curled at the ends and a handsome smile that seemed to capture every room he walked into. He was the one who initially suggested Renly marry his sister, which assured the support of the wealthy house.