chapter six.

★☆  

CHAPTER SIX; THE FAMOUS TART-TOUNGE

Rey had only been to Highgarden once, and that was when she was a child the mere age of seven. It was vast and beautiful, full of life and promise. She didn't remember many details about the place, only how breathtaking it was. Long ago, she had met Mace Tyrell and his two children, but now it was only Loras she had gotten used to being around frequently. She had probably met the matriarch, Olenna Tyrell once when she was incredibly young, but she had no recollection. From what she had heard, the elderly woman was feisty and clever, which was fascinating, but also terrifying.

"You look beautiful, M'lady," Elise smiled as she finished fitting a brand new dress onto Rey's body. The girl was exhausted still, but she was thankful to have finally reached the castle in her homeland. It was refreshing, almost, to smell the fresh air and the floral scents, as well as feel the light drizzles of rain every so often. It reminded her of home, of where she was meant to be. The desirable weather in the middle of being too cold or too hot, it felt perfect. 

It was far better than King's Landing, that was for sure.

Rey smiled slightly as she patted down the lovely material that sat against her skin. It was the nicest state she had been in over the past three weeks, she had to admit. She felt presentable; she felt worthy of standing up for House Marigot. Well, as worthy as one could be when standing up for House Marigot.

"Lady Olenna would like to see you in the Great Hall within the hour," Elise reminded her, reaching for a comb on the dresser and brushing through Rey's soft locks. The lady looked perfect, yet both her and the handmaiden shared a similar swirling feeling in their stomachs at the idea of representing the family. "King Renly has spoken with Lord Tyrell and Lady Margaery about the marriage, which they have consented to."

"That's good," Rey responded softly. She was genuinely happy for Renly, he deserved a kind wife such as Margaery. From what she had heard, the Tyrell woman was incredibly loving and intelligent. "They will make a sweet couple. Perhaps she shall bring an heir to carry on Renly's legacy."

"Perhaps," Elise repeated, humming a little. The two fell into a comfortable silence, the birds chirping outside and putting them both at ease. They felt safe, they felt like they finally belonged somewhere. Before long, there was a knock at the door, and the handmaiden stepped away from Rey to answer. "Ah, Ser Hogarth. You smell a lot better today."

"Thank you," Hogarth grumbled irritably, before allowing himself inside the large room. It was decorated with beautiful flowers and there were plenty of books to divulge in, which made Rey's heart flutter a little bit in delight. She loved reading, she tried to do as much as she could in the large library in the Red Keep, though the Grandmaester Pycelle wasn't entirely lenient on allowing her to borrow many at a time. "Aurelia, a raven from your brother."