Chapter One | Calamity or Prosperity?

Chapter One| Calamity or Prosperity?

Prime Minister Fan stood in front of the Emperor with a record book in hand, his eyebrows were furrowed in concentration as he scanned the numbers written in the book. The room had the fading smell of lavender incense that had been burning since morning. Pleasant air blew into the room from the recently opened window, ruffling the sleeves of Minister Fan's robe.

"Is there anything that needs Our attention?" Emperor Huan sat behind his exquisitely carved table worthy of being owned by the Emperor of all known lands. Emperor Huan's brush glided over the scroll, leaving behind graceful and powerful strokes of poetry. He did not look up at the standing Minister Fan.

"This servant cannot find any mistakes, Your Majesty. But these may need your attention just to be clear that the records are accurate." Minister Fan slowly moved forward and presented the record book to the Emperor while being careful to not look at him in the eyes, fearing that the Son of Heaven might see how nervous he was.

"Very well." Emperor Huan left his freshly-written scroll to the side and placed his brush carefully on the jade slab so as to not stain anything. His narrow eyes scanned the pages of the book as Minister Fan knelt in front of the table stiffly. The silence in the room would have been suffocating if not for the soft sound of the wind caressing the curtains as it blew inside the room and the occasional flipping of the pages.

"We cannot spot any mistakes. You have done well, Minister Fan."

"This servant is unworthy of your praise, Your Majesty." Minister Fan heaved a sigh of relief silently and took the book from the Emperor carefully.

"Are the preparations for the First Prince's birth anniversary complete?" The Emperor finally looked up and eyed his most clever official. He stood up leisurely and moved to the side of the room to look out from the balcony and feel the blowing air. Minister Fan stood up right after the Emperor and moved to stand behind him while gazing at his back.

"They are almost done. Shall I call for the Head Steward to ask about the preparations?" Minister Fan cautiously asked.

The Emperor nodded his head but he didn't turn around. His calm and powerful voice filled the room, "Yes, call him. And you are excused."

Prime Minister Fan thanked the Emperor but when he was about to leave, he halted. Hesitantly turning around, he called out to the Emperor, "Forgive this servant's imprudence, Your Majesty, but this servant has to ask for a favour."

The Emperor turned around to stare at the Minister's kneeling figure with raised eyebrows, his lips turned down into a frown. A minute passed but the Emperor didn't say anything and kept on looking at the kneeling man. Minister Fan's hands shook subtly at the Emperor's silence and he regretted his actions immensely.

"Speak." The Emperor finally ordered.

Minister Fan kowtowed and immediately said, "This servant's main wife is supposed to birth a son for this servant today. This servant would be grateful if Your Highness would allow this servant to go back to the estate early."

Emperor Guan's tense eyebrows relaxed and he turned around to face the garden again. Lightly waving his hand showing that Minister Fan should leave, he said, "You can leave for your estate now."

Minister Fan was relieved and gladly said, "This servant is thankful for Your Majesty's grace!"

After excusing himself, Minister Fan exited the room in a hurry. On turning around, his humble composure was replaced by a comparatively confident posture. His face became expressionless but if someone were to look at him, they'd agree that he was a wise man because his intellect was visible in his eyes.

He completely ignored the Financial Minster waiting for him just around the corner and walked on ahead.

"Minister Fan, please wait!"

Jerking to a stop, Minister Fan heaved a tired sigh and turned to look at the Financial Minister who had called him out, "Yes?"

Minister Liu's features were old, just like him. His grey hair was glaringly visible under his official hat, his wrinkles were deep and his whole body shrunk into itself. The much older man drifted closer to the Prime Minister and dared to ask when he knew no one was around, "Did His Majesty find anything?" His voice was quivering.

Minister Fan's expression didn't change instead, he coldly glared at him, "He did not. I won't be able to save you again, Lin Jun. Now do not ask for me again if it is not for official work." As soon as the words left his mouth, Minister Fan forcefully handed the record book over to Minister Liu and excused himself to rush home, but not before summoning the Head Steward.

"His Majesty is waiting for you in his study and would like to know about the preparations regarding the Anniversary Banquet of His Highness, the First Prince. Do not make His Majesty wait." With that, Minister Fan left.

After a dreadfully long carriage ride later, Minister Fan reached his estate. His face was contorted with anxiety and nervousness and he kept looking out through the window by peeling away the privacy curtain.

"Master! Mistress is in the middle of giving birth to young master!" A maidservant came rushing towards him as soon as his carriage entered the gates.

Minister Fan's heart jumped in excitement as well as fear for the birth of his first child. He called out to the carriage driver to stop and stepped down from the luxurious carriage in a hurry and made his way to his main wife's courtyard.

The whole estate was in a state of chaos as servants ran around trying to accomplish all tasks at once. They were barely able to greet their Master before they lost sight of him as he rushed to see his first child's birth.

Minister Fan reached just in time to hear his wife's scream and flinched. He caught sight of his mother sitting outside in the courtyard, anxiously looking at the door.

His green robes fluttered as he came to stand beside his old mother and worriedly inquired, "Mother, is she alright?"

Grandmother Fan visibly relaxed after catching sight of her son and attempted to sooth him by replying, "It is, it is. Fortunately, Mao Ma arrived in time to attend to her and you know her fame, don't you? She would deliver the child safely."

Grandmother Fan's attempts at soothing her son were in vain. Minister Fan couldn't help but pace in front of the door, glancing anxiously whenever a pained scream slipped though as his mother watched on. Multiple times servants would enter with steaming hot water, leaving the scholar perplexed about its use.

Soon enough, the cry of a newborn echoed throughout the courtyard and it didn't take long for the delightful news to reach everyone. They thanked Buddha for the safe birth of their young master and enjoyed the occasion with even more vigour when it was announced that everyone would be awarded two teals of silver by the master.

The whole capital city was soon aware that the Prime Minister, Fan Jun, had fathered a son. What was more surprising was the fact that the newborn had an unusual pair of blue eyes.

As per the Great Diviner, Fan Jun's newborn son Fan Hai would bring prosperity to the Great Huan Dynasty instead of calamity that most of the people expected.

---

Author's Note: This is another attempt to write a decent read, so if you find anything you can give constructive criticism on, feel free to tell me. I hope you enjoyed it.

Thank you so much for reading! Please vote and comment!